If youve ever been to the Outback steakhouse you for sure have probably had their famous BLOOMIN ONION APPETIZER!
Now, you can make it a home.. but better!
Its so easy to make, just find the BIGGEST onion you can get your hands on.
Cut it as described in my directions below
Prep your batter for the onion
Coat it well
Make sure all of the onion is completely covered
and BAM …pure delicious perfection
You get to choose how crispy you want it, I love mine on the crispy side
MY OTHER RECIPES
I included my dip recipe that pairs perfectly with this appetizer
Please remember to SHARE on Facebook and PIN IT!
Cajun Boomin Onion w/ Homemade Ranch Dip!
- 1 extra large Vidalia onion
- 1/4 C Buttermilk
- 2 large eggs (room temp)
- 3/4 C Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 C Flour
- 3 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp Cayenne
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 8 oz cream cheese (room temp)
- 8 oz container sour cream
- 1/2 C mayonnaise
- 1 package ranch dressing mix
- 18 green onions (chopped)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
Ingredients Green Onion Ranch Dip:
- In a bowl mix Panko, flour, with Cajun seasoning, cayenne, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Set aside.
- Peel onion, cut off the top.
- Place cut side of the onion down onto a cutting board.
- Starting 1?2 inch from the root, cut downward, all the way to the cutting board.
- Repeat to make 4 evenly spaced cuts around the onion.
- Continue slicing through each section until you have made 8 cuts total.
- Open onion so “petals” are exposed.
- In a large bowl add 1 cup flour
- Dip the onion in the large bowl of flour.
- Make sure to give the onion n even dusting.
- Add the egg and buttermilk with the panko, cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper mixture.
- Stir to combine
- Make sure to get the mixture in between all “petals.”
- Turn onion upside down to remove any of the excess mixture.
- Now ladle the mixture into every crevice of the onion.
- Place the blooming onion into the fry basket of the air fryer.
- Place the basket in the air fryer.
- Press the "M" button to scroll to the Chicken Icon.
- Press the power button adjusting cooking time to 16 minutes at 360 degrees.
- When a timer goes off, check for the crispness of the onion.
- Cook 5-10 more minutes to desired crispness.
- When done, remove carefully.
- Combine cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise in a bowl.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Sprinkle in the ranch dressing mix, green onions, and optional jalapeno
- Stir until well combined.
- Refrigerate overnight before serving.
Directions for Bloomin Onion:
Directions Green Onion Ranch Dip:
Makes 4 servings.