This is PAST incredible, seriously….I don’t make cakes from scratch often, not because I don’t like them more than a box mix, but who has the time?
This one I wanted to do for awhile now, my mother has been asking me to make her a chocolate cake & when I do anything, I always tend to go overboard, in a good way 🙂
The result is this fantastic 3-layer Hersheys Chocolate cake with filled with Whipped Cream Cheese icing , then frosted with Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream!
Now, thats a mouthful… a mouthful of delicious CAKE! 😉
Minimal effort for such an incredible cake!
make sure you check out my ‘cake series’ here on the blog- many many cakes !
A huge glass of cold milk & I was in heaven! My family loved it & was raving about it all night.
Old pics below from when I first started the blog 🙂
Perfect chocolately goodness!
The Whipped Cream cheese filling fits beautifully with this cake, not too sweet, just right …in every bite!
One of the biggest challenges making this cake, was trying to not eat the whole thing myself LOL
My mother couldn’t have been happier when I arrived at her house with this in hand 🙂
It’s not difficult at all to make this cake, it comes out moist, not too sweet and will seriously have your taste buds dancing with happiness with every bite 😉
Hersheys Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Filling & Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream
- Adapted from Hershey's
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 & 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk or heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
For the Whipped Cream Cheese Buttercream
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
For the Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream
- 3/4 cup of butter
- 3/4 cup of cream cheese
- 1 & 3/4 cups Hersheys cocoa powder
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons whole Milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Hersheys Chocolate Cake
- First, preheat your oven to 350F.
- Spray 3 round cake pans with cooking spray
- Dust the pans lightly with flour, set aside.
- In a Large mixing bowl or kitchenaid mixer combine the Flour, Hersheys cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and the salt.
- Add in the milk, oil, eggs and the vanilla extract & mix until everything is thoroughly incorporated. Once all combined, stir in the boiling water last; mix again, the batter will be very thin.
- Pour the batter evenly in each of the sprayed/floured cake pans
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of each layer comes out clean. Once fully baked, remove from oven & allow the 3 cakes to cool for at least 10-15 minutes before removing them.
- Once removed, transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
- I always use a cake leveler to make sure the layers are even, you can also use a serrated knife
- While they finish cooling, prepare your frostings.
Whipped Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting Instructions
- Whip the cream cheese & the butter with an electric mixer on high speed for about 30 seconds. Once combined begin adding in 1/2 cup of powdered sugar at time, making sure each half cup is fully incorporated before mixing in another 1/2 cup., add in the vanilla extract & whip one last time for about 30 more seconds on high and beat one minute more until nice & fluffy
Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting Inctructions
- In a large bowl beat the butter & cream cheese with an electric mixer and begin adding in the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time again
- add in the cocoa and the milk & vanilla
- Whip all of the ingredients until they are thoroughly incorporated
- Beat at High speed for about one minute or until fluffy.
Once you are ready to assemble the cake
- Level the cakes with a cake leveler to assure perfect stacking of the cake layers
- Place the bottom layer on a cake plate.
- Spread 3/4 cup of the cream cheese buttercream filling over the bottom cake layer
- Top with the second leveled layer and repeat the process.
- Lastly, top with the third layer.
- Frost just the very top with the remaining Whipped cream cheese buttercream & refrigerate for about 15 minutes
- Finally, remove from the refrigerator & frost the top layer gently with the chocolate cream cheese buttercream & all over the sides of the cake.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.