Do you LOVE American Chop Suey??
This recipe is the best you are ever going to try!
If you have been following along on my blog you will know that one of my latest recipes was my Old Fashioned Goulash! It has been the most viewed recipe on my site in the last TWO years of me blogging! I wanted to also bring you another INCREDIBLE one, my Nanas American Chop Suey!
It is the ultimate comfort food.
I used just green peppers but if you’d like it to be more colourful, you can do red, green and yellow!
This is so amazing because it feeds a crowd or the family- with some really amazing leftovers the following day!
Its quick and easy and everyone goes crazy over it!
Such a Classic Comfort Dish!
Its wonderful for cookouts or potlucks!
Please remember to SHARE on Facebook & PIN IT!
Nana’s American Chop Suey!
- 2 lbs ground beef or turkey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large Yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 T Italian seasoning
- 1 T Adobo Seasoning
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 T seasoned salt
- 1/2 T black pepper
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- In a large pan, saute your ground meat in skillet over medium-high heat until HALF cooked, remove from heat.
- Add garlic, onions, peppers, olive oil until meat is fully cooked and peppers are softened
- Add water and broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, italian seasoning, bay leaves, and seasoned salt, pepper, sugar and adobo seasoning. Mix well.
- Lower heat and cover - allow to cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the uncooked elbow macaroni to the skillet, stir well until everything is combined
- Cover once again and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes
- Once cooked, remove the bay leaves
- (topping with cheese-optional)