This is an old fashioned recipe that has been in our family for over 35 years now! It has been requested that I post it because I shared my Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie last week with you all!
It is pretty simple and it tastes better than any store bought pie you could get in a store!
You can always cut SOME corners- eg: do the filling the old fashioned way and use a pre-made pie crust.
Its up to you 😀
One of the key things is to use ripe bananas, because you want it to have that sweetness 🙂
Its so rich with pure banana flavor throughout!
Old Fashioned Banana Cream Pie!
FOR THE PIE CRUST
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup of cold butter cut into small cubes
- 1/4 of a cup ice water
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 4 heaping tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 14 ounce can Eagle Brand Condensed Milk
- 3 egg yolks beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 medium bananas sliced
- 2 large RIPE bananas mashed
FOR WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons confectioners sugar powdered sugar
FOR THE PIE CRUST:
- In Large cold bowl, add the cold butter into the flour and add the salt until mixture and hand mix, but NOT until smooth, it should still be combined well but lumpy still with the cold butter still showing.
- Pour the ice water over the mixture, use a fork until dough begins to form, do NOT over mix.
- Divide the dough into two equal sections then flatten into 2 rounds, then place in the refrigerator to rest for about a half an hour.(this makes two pie crusts, you can save for another pie or freeze)
- Remove from the fridge and place in the bottom of a 10 inch pie plate, cut off any excess.
- Bake only the crust at 400F for 10 - 14 minutes OR until golden brown.
- Allow to cool COMPLETELY before adding your filling
FOR THE FILLING;
- Mix water and cornstarch until smooth.
- Stir in Eagle Brand milk and egg yolks.
- Cook until thick in saucepan or microwave.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons butter.
- Add vanilla.
- Cool slightly (stirring occasionally).
- add in 2 mashed banana, mix until combined
- Pour 1/2 of filling on pie crust.
- Place 3 sliced bananas on filling.
- Pour remainder of filling on the sliced bananas.
- Combine the whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract and beat well
- Spread on top of the filling. (i used a pastry bag to make pretty peaks)
- Garnish with the last sliced banana
Did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest for more recipes!
Comments & Reviews
This looks like the old fashioned banana cream pie that my mother used to make so I can’t wait to try it, thanks.!
Judie yates says
Need. A place to share, don’t have eyes well enough to copy recipes
barbara britton says
looks good an sounds good
Do you have a more diet/carb friendly alternative to thus, I’ve why from sugar to sugar free for last month, and I’m craving sweetness, what are alternatives to the crust that has less carbs, help please
I neeeeeeed to make this!
Jo Lene says
Excited to try this – I’ve been looking for a great banana cream pie recipe!
Jo Lene says
Excited to try this – I’ve been looking for a great banana cream pie recipe! Love the idea of mashed bananas actually IN the cream instead of just on the top / bottom.
Beverly Scott says
I love banana cream and chocolate
This looks sooo good! But where I grew up “banana cream pie” meant banana filling and meringue topping, and that’s what I love and crave; it can no longer be found commercially, apparently! Do you have a meringue variation for this?
Janet Simons says
This looks so good, I can’t wait to try this for my husband Thanks.
Do the mashed bananas provide enough sweetness for the filling or do you add some sugar?
Sorry when i read the recipe I thought it was evaporated milk and now realize it’s sweetened condensed milk. I made the recipe last night using evaporated milk and added 1/2 cup sugar. I hope it turns out. I look forward to making this again and using the sweetened condensed milk next time.
Is this sweetened condensed milk or evaporated?
Marie Czarnecki says
where is the “SHARE OF THE RECIPE”?????????????????????????????????????
Christine C Peters says
Yummy. Looks so wonderful. My mouth is watering now.