I’ve been making this smothered stuffed chicken dish for years, and I’m ridiculously proud of it because it’s one of the first recipes I made that the whole family completely fell in love with!
I’m sure there are other recipes for chicken roll ups or smothered chicken out there, but this combines BOTH, so I’m sure you wont see very many like this floating around the internet, but please…. let me tell you, this one is OUT-OF-THIS-WORLD! 🙂
With this dish you can eat it with so MANY things! We have done it with rice, pasta and even mashed potatoes!
This is one of my familys most-requested meals, and one of only a handful of recipes I come back to again and again. We love it THAT much!
We love Cheese and bacon, who doesn’t?!
You are more than welcome to use your favorite blend of cheeses, I’ve tried many different combinations over the years 🙂
Four Cheese Bacon Stuffed Smothered Chicken Casserole!
- 6 thin boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 Slices of bacon, cooked and chopped + 6 more for the stuffing
- 1/2 can of cream of chicken or mushroom soup
- Olive Oil for cooking
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 red bell pepper ,chopped
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 6 Pieces of cooked and chopped Bacon
- 1/4 cup Italian Bread Crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
Note we like it cheesy, but you can cut each cup down to 1/4 if you like
Chicken Stuffing Mixture
Coating the Chicken Rolls
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat, add in only the teaspoon of butter, the chopped bell pepper and the 1/2 chopped onion - allow cook only about 3 minutes until slightly softened, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese, onion, Italian Seasoning, garlic powder, pepper and lemon juice until blended. Stir in cooked and chopped bacon.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture on each piece of chicken and spread it out into a thin layer.
- Roll the chicken.
- Next, lightly dip the chicken rolls in egg mixture, followed by dipping them into the italian breadcrumbs
- In a large skillet drizzle some olive oil and heat, Briefly cook rolls over high heat, browning all sides,.remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the water and the cream of soup and mix well
- Add in the bell pepper/onions,and one of the 1/2 cups of cheese (any one you want) and combine
- Pour mixture into a Large Baking dish and place the chicken rolls in, press down lightly to cover the sides with the mixture and space them out.
- Take a teaspoon and scoop a little of the mixture on top of each chicken roll
- Finally add in the rest of the cheeses on top evenly
- Bake for 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked completely
- Remove from oven and top with the 6 slices of chopped, cooked, bacon and place back into the oven for and additional 5 minutes
Note to avoid them unrolling, you can use toothpicks to keep them together