Ditch the store-bought pies and prepare this tasty Pumpkin Custard Pie from scratch at home. This pie will have the most delicious, freshest taste with every bite, prepared with fresh ingredients, such as pumpkin puree, heavy cream, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and more. Serve with a scoop of ice cream to complete the dessert and impress your family and friends!
As soon as summer comes to a close, I automatically get in the mood to prepare pumpkin-flavored treats. I mean, what’s not to love about the fresh taste of something as sweet and smooth as Pumpkin Custard Pie? I mean it when I tell you this is one of my favorite recipes to prepare! In fact, I enjoy it so much that it’s become my dessert of choice every Thanksgiving. If you want to prepare a dessert with fresh, homemade ingredients that your family will enjoy, this is the recipe for you.
Why You’ll Love this Pumpkin Custard Pie
- The Pumpkin Custard Pie has a smooth, slightly sweet taste with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg in every bite. If you love pumpkin spice and pumpkin-flavored everything, you’ll love this pie, too!
- It’s not hard to prepare this pie from scratch. While you’ll need quite a few ingredients and a bit of time, it’s worth the effort spent putting this dish together because it’s truly that delicious.
- You can adjust this recipe to your liking, adding ingredients or even using substitutes for different things based on your preferences!
Pumpkin Custard Pie Ingredients
Before preparing this tasty Pumpkin Custard Pie, you’ll need ingredients to assemble the crust and the smooth, creamy filling. These ingredients include:
- Flour – The main ingredient used to prepare the crust, you’ll need this if you plan on making your crust from scratch.
- Sugar – Give your crust a sweeter taste by combining the flour with the sugar in your mixing bowl.
- Cold Butter – Use cold salted butter cut into cubed pieces.
- Pumpkin Puree – When preparing your filling, use pumpkin puree instead of pumpkin pie filling.
- Heavy Cream – Create the perfect consistency for your custard pie using a bit of heavy cream.
- Cinnamon – Notes of cinnamon pair well with the pumpkin puree to give this pie such an incredible taste.
- Nutmeg – A touch of nutmeg is all you’ll need to give your pie filling an even more enjoyable flavor.
Along with these ingredients, you’ll need several more, such as cloves, ginger, pepper, vanilla, brown sugar, etc.
Variations of the Pumpkin Custard Pie
- If you’re a fan of cinnamon, sprinkle some into a bowl of whipped topping, and then add a dollop of the topping to each slice of this delicious pie.
- You can drizzle your favorite brand of caramel syrup over the pie for an added touch. If you’re not a fan of caramel, prepare a homemade glaze to drizzle over the pie by combining a vanilla extract with powdered sugar and heavy cream.
- Add a chocolate touch to your pie with a few mini white chocolate chip morsels. Wait until your pie has cooled down completely before tossing them on top to keep them from melting. The white chocolate goes great with the pumpkin flavor.
Pumpkin Pie Custard Notes
- Use a food processor to combine the ingredients for your crust. If you don’t have a food processor, you can use a blender to combine these ingredients at a faster pace than you would when mixing by hand.
- Make sure to preheat your oven while the crust dough is chilling. It will save you more time in the long run while helping you prepare the perfect crust.
- Don’t remove your pie immediately after the cooking time. Instead, turn the oven off, crack the door open, and allow it to sit for an additional 20+ minutes.
FAQs for Pumpkin Custard Pie
How will I know when the pie is ready to remove from the oven?
If you want to know how to tell when pumpkin pie is done, check the edges, which should have a puffy appearance. While the edges are puffy, the center will still be slightly jiggly, and that’s perfectly fine.
What brand of pumpkin puree should I use?
You can use any brand of pumpkin puree to prepare this delicious pie, such as Libby’s, Great Value, or Good & Gather.
Can I use homemade pumpkin puree?
Absolutely. If you prefer to prepare your own pumpkin puree, feel free to do so when preparing this Pumpkin Custard Pie.
Enjoy the sweet taste of this delicious Pumpkin Custard Pie. It’s the perfect dessert to serve to guests for special occasions and holidays, such as Thanksgiving! This kind if Pumpkin Pie recipe is not like all the others you see online, this one is completely incredible , just try it!
Its Sure to be a huge hit wherever you serve it! The perfect Fall baking recipe that everyone will go crazy over! This Pumpkin Pie Recipe is incredible and the perfect consistency. Pumpkin Custard Pie is sure to be a huge hit where ever you serve it.
Try Some of My Other Favorite Pumpkin Recipes
Pumpkin Custard Pie
- 1 3 ⁄4 c all purpose flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 ⁄4 c cold salted butter cubed
- 2 Tbs whole milk
- 1 Tbs ice water
- 3 eggs + 1 yolk
- 2 ⁄3 c sugar
- 1 ⁄4 c + 1 Tbs brown sugar
- 1 – 15 oz can pumpkin puree not pie filling
- 2 ⁄3 c whole milk
- 2 ⁄3 c heavy whipping cream
- 1 1 ⁄2 tsp vanilla1
- 1 ⁄2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 ⁄4 tsp salt
- 1 ⁄2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 ⁄4 tsp ginger
- 1 ⁄4 tsp cloves
- 1 ⁄8 tsp pepper
- In a food processor combine flour, sugar and salt. Add in the butter and pulse until themixture is crumbly. While the food processor is running, stream in the milk though the chute.Once the milk has been added, stream in the water. Mix until the dough starts to come together.Remove the dough from the processor and into a disc, then cover well with plastic wrap. Placeinto the fridge to chill for 1 hour.
- Towards the end of the chill time, preheat the oven to 375°. Lightly spray a 9” pie plate withbaking spray and set aside. Once the crust dough has been chilled, place it onto a clean,floured surface. Roll out to a 12” circle. Place the dough onto the prepared pie plate, pressingdown evenly. Crimp around the rim to form a crust, then cut off any excess.
- Place parchment paper on top of the pie crust, then fill with pie weights or beans. Place intothe preheated oven on the middle rack and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the parchment paperand pie weights, then reduce the temperature to 350° and bake for an additional 5 minutes.Once baked, remove from the oven and place onto a wire cooling rack.
- Keep the oven preheated to 350°. In a large mixing whisk together eggs, sugar and brownsugar. Add in the pumpkin puree, milk, heavy cream and vanilla and mix to combine. Add incinnamon, salt, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and pepper and whisk to incorporate. Pour the mixtureinto the pre-baked crust.
- Place the pie into the preheated oven on the center rack and bake for 50 minutes. Whenbaked, the edges of the pie should be puffy and the center will be slightly jiggly. Once the pie isbaked, turn the oven off and open the door. Leave the pie inside of the oven and let cool for20-30 minutes. Once the cooling time is up, remove the pie from the oven and place onto awire cooling rack to let it finish cooling completely.