Southern Baked Macaroni & Cheese is a southern classic recipe that is ultra gooey and packed pull of cheese, you will never use boxed again!
One of the easiest recipes to make is macaroni and cheese, it always made me wonder why so many people make the box kind!?
There’s no need to pick up Kraft when you can make it so easily at home and it tastes a million times better than powered cheese!
You can even make this recipe a full meal by adding in shredded rotisserie chicken to the mix or even ground beef!
This recipe is a staple in my house- everyone goes crazy over it, so I make it often- it even tastes wonderful the next day!
My husband requested I only make this version when making mac and cheese from now on
– I knew it was a winner 😉 My entire family cleared their plates!
Please remember to SHARE on Facebook and PIN IT!
Southern Baked Macaroni & Cheese!
- 16 oz. macaroni
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper or black
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the macaroni; cook for 8 to 9 minutes. Strain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the flour, white pepper, salt, and cayenne pepper and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in the milk 1/2 cup at a time, then the heavy cream then Stir in all of the cheddar cheese and half of the extra sharp cheddar cheese, stir into the milk/flour sauce until melted. Stir in the macaroni.
- Pour into a 2 quart baking dish and top with the remaining extra sharp cheddar cheese. Bake at 375F for 30 minutes. Serve hot.