Let me just start off by telling you, these are AMAZING.
I have been planning on making these for some time now and with Fall just being a couple of days away, they hit the spot!
Basically, if I were describe what these taste like I would have to say its like Apple rings covered in Fried Dough then coated with Cinnamon Sugar goodness… seriously, its HEAVEN.
It’s best to slice the apples THIN, then use biscuit cutters to make them into ‘rings’.
I did use my Star cookie cutter for a couple of them, so deliciously adorable! 🙂
TIP: Making sure the oil is nice and hot & only cooking a couple at a time is key to their perfection.
The crunch on the outside and delicious apple inside is just an incredible combination!
I used Gala apples for this recipe, I find that they hold up to the heat beautifully while frying.
You will not be disappointed with these delicious rings of goodness 🙂
Cinnamon Sugar Apple RIngs!
- 4 large apples (I used gala)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 stick of butter, melted (optional)
For the Apple Rings
For the Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- Take a large mixing bowl and combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and the teaspoon of cinnamon. Set aside.
- Take a small bowl and combine the egg and buttermilk together and mix until incorporated.
- Take a third small bowl to make your topping for the rings, combine the 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Set that aside as well.
- Slice your apples into about 1/4 -inch thick slices, and use circle biscuit cutters in all different sizes to make rings out of each slice. You CAN also use cookie cutters, if they are small enough to make some cute designs if you wanted to as well.
- Make sure to discard ALL the apple cores.
- Heat the veggie oil in a frying pan over medium heat, making sure the temp reaches 350F.
- Combine the contents of the first and second dishes, this will be the batter for the rings, do this as your veggie oil is heating up to the right temp.
- Dip the apple rings in and out of the batter one at a time making sure to remove any dripping excess by tapping the rings against the side of the bowl or your batter will be too thick when frying.
- Fry the rings only a couple at a time, turning them to ensure browning on both sides, make sure not to let them overcook, they do brown VERY quickly
- Once the rings are golden and crispy, transfer them to wire rack that is lined with paper towels so the excess oil can be absorbed.
- Remove the paper towel from the bottom after the excess oil has been removed and place them on a plain wire rack.
- Using take your melted butter and lightly brush only a very small amount on each ring, then dip into the cinnamon sugar mixture on at a time, being sure they are all evenly coated. Using the butter is optional, because you CAN just coat them without it, but I found that the coating stays on better and really gives it a better taste, but it is up to you.
Adapted via: FortuneGoodies