One of the BEST cakes anyone could ever have is a Texas sheet cake.
There is just something about the richness that has me drooling just thinking about it!
With this cake I did add cream cheese to the Icing, though you are more than welcome to just leave it out, it will taste just as delicious without it, but I just LOVE the way it complimented this cake and took it right over the top, fantastic!
If you have ever made a Texas Sheet cake before you know its best not to use low-fat or fat free substitutions, yes, it WILL still turn out but it will be missing that real rich flavor that makes the cake!
For the Cake
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Icing:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 box, 1 pound confectioners’ sugar (sift it first to remove lumps – otherwise icing remains lumpy)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Chopped Pecans or Walnuts, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- In a small saucepan combine the butter, water and cocoa over medium heat just until the butter melts being careful to not allow it to cook too long.. mix constantly.
- In a large mixing bowl combine sugar, flour, salt, eggs, and baking soda.
- Add in the butter mixture to the dry ingredients, then add the sour cream and vanilla and mix until completely incorporated
- Pour the cake batter into a sheet cake pan and bake for 18-20 minutes or until completely set.
For the icing:
- In a medium saucepan combine the butter, cocoa and milk over a medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, remove from the heat & combine with confectioners sugar and vanilla. Mix well with a hand mixer to remove all lumps.
- Finally add in the half cup of cream cheese and mix until incorporated and smooth.
- Spread over the sheet cake while the cake is warm.
- If you chose to add nuts , sprinkle them over top of the cake.
Join Our Community of Over 15 Million Followers
My Incredible RecipesLike @MyIncredibleRecipes today to never miss a recipe.
Recipes From HeavenLike @WeLoveRecipesFromHeaven to join 6 Million others.