Homemade Caramel Apples are one of my all time favorite things to buy whenever we go to a carnival or a fair- you can make them right at home and they taste unbelievably delicious!
These beauties are made with a scrumptious homemade caramel sauce that is fairly easy to make!
I will have a homemade candy version coming soon so please stay tuned for that version as well! I know so many people love making candy apples during the fall season , and its right around the corner now!
This recipe is a tried and true favorite in our house! Now that Im almost 7 months pregnant, I am craving them like crazy! So, I have been making them all week (my friends and family are thanking me, because I give a bunch out lol )
COOKS NOTES: Preparation tips 101 –
The caramel will take about 25 minutes to reach desired temperature.
It is important to stir it constantly in order to prevent it from burning.
Once the caramel reaches 245 degrees things will move very quickly so keep a close eye on things.
Move quickly when dipping the apples – If the caramel is setting too quickly put the caramel back on low heat
Make sure the apples are free of wax/polish and thoroughly dry or the caramel will slip off.
The Caramel is always nice and gooey, and has a slight vanilla kick to it! I made a huge batch last week using a couple pound bags of red delicious apples and green granny smiths too! I think I ate about 4 this week so far- hey, its fruit so its healthy right? 😉
Have fun with your toppings! Try sprinkles, nuts, decorative sugar/sugar crystals, chocolate drizzle, cookie crumbs, etc.
The consistency is wonderful and coats the apples beautifully. Also, make sure to twirl the apples on the bottom of the pot (held at an angle) to remove any excess caramel. I know a lot of my followers were getting frustrated searching for recipes only to find them calling for “melting caramel candies”, well, not here! Sweet, gooey and homemade caramel on these apples 🙂 definitely worth the try!
Please remember to SHARE on Facebook and PIN IT!
Homemade Caramel Apples
- 6 large apples
- 1 cup butter
- 1 ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper and set aside.
- Wash and thoroughly dry the apples.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat stir the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk until combined.
- Bring to a boil stirring constantly and cook until a candy-thermometer read 245F
- Remove from heat and stir-in vanilla extract.
- Dip each apple into the hot caramel and immediately add toppings if desired.
- Place on prepared baking sheet and allow to cool before serving.