Homemade Soft Pretzels are easier than you think to make and the taste is incredible, especially dipped in mustard or cheese sauce!
Soft pretzels made with ‘yeast’ dough and they very similar to making a homemade bagel
(stay tuned for that upcoming recipe!)
There is no need to let the dough rise for an hour, as some people seem to think, because you do not want them too fluffy and its just not necessary because we use instant yeast 🙂
This is honestly such a great recipe! It was a huge hit with the family! My hubby requested cinnamon sugar, so I’m going to try that next time! I bet those will taste SO good with a cream cheese dipping sauce!
I have served these at parties as an appetizer and put out a variety of mustards and sweet dipping sauces– always a huge favorite!
I have been to Amish country before and how they make their pretzels is dip them heavily in melted butter. Seriously Heavenly!! They are such fun making beautiful, soft,warm treats!
Perfect dips for these would be any of your favorite variety of mustard, or any sweet type of sauces like cream cheese or even a nacho cheese sauce!
Theres no need to ever buy those favorite pretzels you see in the stores! You can make a bunch right at home 🙂
I have spent so much money on those Mall bought pretzels that I finally started making them myself at home!These pretzels are a bit sweet yet chewy and are buttery perfection. These are great plain, with salt or coated with cinnamon and sugar! Once finished, dip the hot pretzel in melted butter and start dipping away with your choice of sauces!
These Pretzels do freeze well too! You can freeze them for up to 2 months in an airtight container. Whenever you want one and you’re ready to reheat, just bake the frozen pretzels at 350F for 13 minutes or until warmed through or microwave until warm!
Please remember to SHARE on Facebook and PIN IT!
Homemade Soft Pretzels!
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose or bread flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup salted butter, melted
- coarse salt
- Combine water and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Add butter, light brown sugar, salt, and 2 cups flour and mix on medium speed until a sticky dough comes together.
- Add remaining flour 1/4 cup at a time until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl while mixing.
- Transfer to a greased bowl and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spray parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Punch down the dough and cut dough into 8 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a long rope and shape into a pretzel twist.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with the egg.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Brush pretzels with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse salt.