If you’re ever in the mood for a classic sweet treat, prepare these delicious Old Fashioned Glazed Donuts. They’re the perfect comfort food to enjoy for breakfast or a quick snack throughout the day. I love having mine in the morning with my coffee!
Get a load of these incredible Old Fashioned Glazed Donuts that you can prepare at home from scratch with ingredients like cake flour, sour cream, butter, and shortening. It won’t take too much time or effort to prepare something so delicious that the entire family can enjoy for breakfast!
Old Fashioned Donut
Do you remember when you were a child, and your parents would take you to a bakery to get some Old Fashioned Glazed Donuts? If it’s an experience you know all too well, you’ll be glad to know that you can emulate that same taste by following this recipe for donuts using sour cream, shortening, and several other essential ingredients. There’s so much to love about these donuts – the flavor, texture, and ease of preparing them. But what I love most is seeing the smiles on my children’s faces when these donuts are ready for them to eat!
Why You’ll Love These Sour Cream Donuts
- Sweet – These donuts have such a sweet taste. It’s not too powerful or overwhelming. Instead, it’s just right!
- Fun – You can have a lot of fun preparing these donuts from scratch. It’s worth preparing them at home to see the difference in taste and texture compared to options available at the grocery store.
- Delicious – These donuts are such a delicious treat to have as often as you’d like, whether you want one in the morning or as a snack between meals.
I love everything about these donuts. If you’re a fan of the old-fashioned style, this is one recipe you absolutely need in your life!
Old Fashioned Glazed Donut Ingredients
- Cake Flour – The process of preparing these incredible donuts starts with the use of cake flour, an essential ingredient that gives these cakes their incredible texture.
- Baking Powder – Make sure your donuts bake perfectly by adding baking powder to the mixture.
- Sugar – Give your donuts that touch of sweetness by adding sugar to the mixture.
- Vinegar – A little vinegar enhances the flavor and texture of these donuts without altering the taste!
You’ll need a few other ingredients, such as salt, baking soda, butter, shortening, egg yolks, and sour cream. When preparing the glaze, you’ll need to combine powdered sugar with a bit of milk, corn syrup, salt, and vanilla. The glaze truly takes these donuts to the next level!
Glazed Sour Cream Donut Variations
- If you don’t want to prepare the glaze, you can omit it from this recipe and sprinkle powdered sugar on top of your donuts instead.
- You can add a cinnamon touch to your donuts by including ground cinnamon powder in your mixture with the cake flour.
- Some people like to add a chocolate glaze to their donuts. If so, you can prepare the glaze as you normally would, but include a touch of chocolate syrup or cocoa powder in the mixture to give it that chocolate taste.
Old Fashioned Donuts Notes
- If you don’t have shortening, you can use melted butter as a replacement for it. The melted butter will still work well in this recipe.
- Don’t overmix your ingredients when adding the flour to the recipe. Mixing everything too much can impact the overall texture of these donuts, and you don’t want that.
- When adding your donuts to the oil, using a slotted spoon is best. The spoon will help you get rid of some of the excess oil from your donuts.
Sour Cream Donut FAQs
Do I have to use vegetable oil for these donuts?
Vegetable oil is best to use when frying the donuts. However, if you don’t have vegetable oil, you can use something else, such as canola oil.
What texture do these donuts have?
These donuts have a cake-like texture that is truly impressive. You can expect each piece to feel soft and delicate with every bite you take. If you’ve ever had an old-fashioned donut before, you know that signature taste and texture they have!
Can I use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream?
Yes! If you’d like to swap out the sour cream for Greek yogurt, which tastes similar and is even better for you, feel free to do so.
More Recipes You Will Love!!
Old Fashioned Glazed Donuts
- 2 3/4 c cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2/3 c sugar
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 Tbs shortening
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 c sour cream
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 3 c powdered sugar
- 1⁄3 c +1 Tbs c milk
- 1 Tbs corn syrup
- 2 1⁄2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine cake flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment combine sugar, butter and shortening. Beat on a medium-high speed until smooth. Add in eggs and mix until just incorporated. Add sour cream and vinegar and mix to combine. Add in the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Transfer the dough into a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place into the fridge to let chill for 30 minutes. Towards the end of the chill time, preheat 3” of oil in a large stock to 375°. Once the dough has been chilled, turn it out onto a clean, floured surface. Press the dough out into a 3⁄4” thick disc. Use a donut cutter to cut out as many donuts as you can. Form the remaining dough back together and repeat the process until all the dough has been used.
- Carefully place 2-3 donuts into the preheated oil and fry for 1 1⁄2-2 minutes, before flipping and frying for an additional 1 1⁄2-2 minutes. Once fried, carefully remove the donut from the pot and place into a cooling rack. Repeat the frying process with the remaining donuts.
- In a large mixing bowl combine powdered sugar, milk, corn syrup, vanilla and salt. Whisk together until smooth. Dip the warm donuts into the glaze, then place into a wire cooling rack to let the excess drip off.
Did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest for more recipes!
Leave A Reply!