Perfect Homemade Flour Tortillas take only 5 ingredients to make and taste incredible! No need to buy those packaged tortillas that are filled with numerous ingredients you can’t even pronounce, ever again!
These tortillas are perfect for making your soft tacos for taco tuesday! Its wonderful for fajitas, enchiladas, breakfast burritos or any type of mexican food!
How should you store your flour Tortillas?
These homemade flour tortillas stay soft at room temperature for about 10 or so hours.
But after that amount of time, you are going to want to place them into an airtight container and put them in the refrigerator.
How do I Reheat my homemade flour Tortillas?
When you are going to reheat the flour tortillas, put the oven to 350F and wrap them in foil and heat them for about 5 minutes.
Some people use lard when making tortillas and you can use either lard, butter or oil- they all work well!
It always amazes me that these simple ingredients can yield such delicious results!
When rolling these tortillas it can be rather challenging without practice lol
I really try my best to make my tortillas into round-ish circles. However, sometimes they look a little off but hey, nobody has ever turned down a soft and warm homemade tortilla just because it wasn’t a perfect circle!
I got smooth edges on my tortillas, but if the edges are jagged then too much lard/butter or shortening was added. THE BEST PART OF ABOUT THIS RECIPE IS THAT THE TORTILLAS ARE PLIABLE! I love that they don’t crack!
Please remember to SHARE on Facebook and PIN IT!
Perfect Homemade Flour Tortillas (Only 5 Ingredients)
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/3 cup canola oil or crisco or butter (crisco works best)
- 1 cup warm water
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix together flour, salt, and baking powder. With the mixer running, add in oil and water and mix until a smooth dough forms, about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured cutting board and divide into 16 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball and flatten slightly.
- Let dough rest for 15 minutes and heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Use a rolling pin to roll one ball of dough at a time into a thin circle.
- Cook each tortilla for about 1-2 minutes, flip, and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Transfer cooked tortillas to a plate and repeat with remaining dough.