These savory tacos are made with traditional birria stew. Tortillas are dipped in the birria grease and fried, then topped with cheese and shredded meat from the stew. You won’t be able to eat just one!
The flavor: Birria is a flavorful and spicy meat stew that is slow-cooked for several hours. The result is tender, juicy, and packed with flavor. The meat is usually seasoned with a blend of spices as well as chili peppers for a kick of heat. When you take a bite of a birria taco, you’ll experience a burst of flavors that will leave you craving for more. Whether you’re a die-hard fan of crispy tacos or just looking for a new and delicious dinner option, this recipe is definitely worth trying. It’s sure to become a staple in your meal rotation, and for good reason.
The texture: Birria tacos are known for their crispy texture, which is achieved by dipping the tortilla in the juices of the stew before frying it. The tortilla crisps up and creates a crunchy shell that contrasts nicely with the tender meat. The addition of chopped onions, cilantro, and lime juice adds a refreshing crunch that compliments the tender meat.
What is Birria?
Birria is a savory stew that is traditionally made using beef or lamb. The meat is slow-cooked in a spicy chili sauce with onions, garlic, and other seasonings. It is then shredded and served in tortillas as a filling for tacos or burritos or on its own as an appetizer.
What is Birria Tacos?
Birria tacos are a delicious Mexican dish made with traditional birria stew. The tortillas are dipped in the rich and savory grease from the stew, then fried until crispy and golden brown. Topped with shredded cheese and tender pieces of meat from the stew, these tacos are packed with flavor and texture in every bite.
Why You’ll Love Birria Tacos Recipe
- Birria tacos are full of flavor. The slow-roasted meats are typically seasoned with a variety of spices, including cumin, chili powder, and garlic. The result is a rich and savory taco that is hard to resist.
- Perfect for sharing. They are often served with a delicious stew on the side, which can be used to top off the tacos or eaten as a separate dish.
- Birria tacos are traditionally made with goat meat but can also be made with beef or chicken. This means that there is an option for everyone to enjoy.
Birria tacos can be enjoyed in many ways. Some people prefer to dunk their tacos in the stewed meat’s juices for an extra flavor punch, while others prefer a side of consomme soup for dipping. You can also add cheese, avocado, or a splash of hot sauce to customize the taste to your preference.
Eating birria tacos is an experience. They are a perfect example of comfort food that can warm your soul. They are a hearty meal that is usually served during celebratory events, such as weddings, quinceaneras, and family gatherings. The act of consuming birria tacos gives you a sense of belonging and cultural connection.
- Birria beef – The meat from the stew is shredded and used in the tacos.
- Cheese – I like to use quesadilla cheese, but Mexican blends or mozzarella are good alternatives.
- Corn Tortillas – I have never used flour tortillas for this, but it might be just fine for this recipe.
- Birria grease or broth – This is used to dip the tortillas in and then fry them in the pan.
- Onion – White or yellow onion will work just fine for this recipe.
- Cilantro – You’ll need cilantro for garnish.
Different Ways to Make the Birria Stew
There are many different ways to make a delicious birria stew for your birria tacos recipe. Some popular methods include cooking the meat in an Instant Pot or slow cooker, roasting it on a grill, or simmering it in a large pot with broth and spices. Depending on your preferences and dietary restrictions, you can also use beef, lamb, or goat meat to make your birria.
How to Make Birria Tacos
After you make the Birria stew, you are going to put a tortilla in the birria grease and place it in a hot saute pan.
Go ahead and sprinkle the tortilla with cheese and let it melt while the tortilla crisps.
Then, add some shredded birria meat to the taco and fold it in half. Repeat with remaining tortillas. You can serve it with birria broth, onion, and cilantro.
What to serve with Birria Tacos?
Birria tacos are a hearty and filling dish, so you may want to serve them with a light salad or soup as an appetizer. Some delicious options include guacamole, pico de gallo, or cilantro-lime rice.
To make the meal even more special, try pairing your birria tacos with a glass of delicious Mexican beer, such as Corona or Modelo. You can also serve them with a refreshing margarita on the rocks or frozen.
How to Store
These are best eaten fresh but can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
Birria tacos are a must-try dish for anyone who loves Mexican cuisine or looking to explore new flavor experiences. They offer a tantalizing blend of flavors, textures, and versatility that will leave you hooked. So, the next time you’re out for a meal, don’t forget to try birria tacos!
More Recipes You Will Love!
- 12 corn tortillas
- ½ cup birria grease and broth
- 2 cups shredded birria beef
- 2 cups Quesadilla cheese
- ¼ cup chopped white onion
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Dip a tortilla in the birria grease and place in a hot saute pan.
- Sprinkle the tortilla with cheese and allow to melt while the tortilla crisps.
- Add some shredded birria meat to the taco and fold in half. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Serve with birria broth, onion and cilantro.