Boston Cream Cupcakes take everything you adore about those Boston cream donuts and turn them into sensational cupcakes made completely from scratch! A tried and true recipe!
Need something new and sweet to try for dessert? These Boston Cream Cupcakes are simply amazing!
If you’re a fan of the chocolate-covered, cream-filled donuts, you’ll love the sweet taste of these delicious Boston Cream Cupcakes. They have the perfect taste and texture with a flavorful cream center.
Prepare a sweet, flavorful treat that will taste like one of your favorite donuts with this recipe for Boston Cream-Filled Cupcakes. The cupcakes are easy to make from scratch with various ingredients, including flour, eggs, vanilla extract, sugar, and more. Not only are you preparing the cupcakes, but you’re also making a tasty filling to add to the center of them and a ganache to pour on top as a finishing touch.
Why You’ll Love These Cupcakes with Filling
- They’re fun to make. If you enjoy baking, you’ll have a good time preparing the Boston Cream Cupcakes.
- The cupcakes taste amazing. If you’ve always been a fan of Boston Cream donuts, you need to try these cupcakes.
- You can make cupcakes for different occasions, including birthday parties and social gatherings.
Must-Have Boston Cream Cupcake Ingredients
Before you get started, you’ll need ingredients for the cupcakes, cream filling, and the chocolate ganache frosting. The ingredients needed include:
- Salted Butter– Allow your butter to sit out and soften before you use it.
- Vanilla Extract – The touch of vanilla gives these cupcakes more flavor.
- All-Purpose Flour – You’ll need flour to create the perfect batter for your cupcakes.
- Granulated Sugar – Give your cupcakes an added sweet taste using granulated sugar.
You’re also going to need large egg whites, baking powder, and milk for the cupcake batter. Once you have the ingredients for your batter, you need two egg yolks, semi-sweet chocolate chips, light corn syrup, and heavy whipping cream to use with your other items to make the pastry cream filling and ganache.
Do I have to use semi-sweet chocolate chips for the ganache?
While semi-sweet chocolate chips work well for the ganache, they’re not the only option. You can use dark chocolate or milk chocolate to create a delicious ganache that pairs well with the cupcake and the cream filling.
What flavor does the filling have?
The past creamy fling has a light and creamy vanilla flavor to it that tastes absolutely amazing. It’s easy enough to make with only a few ingredients, including sugar, milk, vanilla extract, and more.
How do I cut out the center of each cupcake?
While you can use a knife, if you want to keep it simple and make it even easier to do, you can easily remove the center of each cupcake with a large piping tip. Simply insert the tip into the cooked cupcakes, one by one. Gently press it down, turn it slightly, and then remove the piece of the center that you’d like to take out to make space for the cream.
Can I adjust the flavor of the cream filling?
Absolutely. So, if you want to make a strawberry cream filling, for example, you can add a bit of strawberry extract into the mixture. These cupcakes are completely customizable.
- If you want to make mini versions of these cupcakes to have a bite-sized option and more than enough to go around, you can do that. However, it may be a bit trickier to get the hole in the center of the cupcake for the cream, but you can still work with what you have.
- Although completely optional, some people like to toss a few sprinkles over the ganache as a special touch. You can do this for special occasions, using holiday-themed sprinkles for decorative purposes.
- If you’re not a chocolate lover but would still like to prepare these cupcakes, you can prepare a vanilla glaze topping by combining heavy cream with powdered sugar and vanilla extract. You can use vanilla glaze as an alternative for your cupcakes.
Enjoy the combination of chocolate with sweet pastry cream when you prepare these delicious Boston Cream Cupcakes. The homemade baked goodies are perfect for different occasions, for bake sales, potlucks, or just dessert for the whole family.
They taste so good that both children and adults love them! Once you’ve made them, you can store them in an airtight container on your kitchen table (for up to 4 days) or in the fridge to keep them fresh for a week until you’re ready to serve and enjoy with your loved ones!
Please remember to SHARE on Facebook and PIN IT!
Boston Cream Cupcakes
Servings: 12 cupcakes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 6 tablespoons salted butter softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup+ 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites save two yolks!
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
Pastry Cream Filling:
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup +2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup +2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prepare a cupcake tin by lining with 12 cupcake liners and
- set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer equipped with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar
- until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the sour cream, vanilla extract, and egg whites and mix until well combined. Scrape the
- sides and bottom of the bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and baking powder and whisk. Add the milk to a large glass
- measuring cup.
- Add half of the dry ingredients into the stand mixer and mix until there are no dry spots
- Slowly pour in the milk and mix until just combined.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until just combined and smooth. Scrape the sides
- and bottom of the bowl and mix for an additional minute if needed.
- Fill the cupcake liners about halfway full and bake for 15-16 minutes or until a toothpick
- inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool
- Prepare the pastry cream by adding the egg yolks into a small bowl and whisk to break up the
- yolk. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, add the sugar, cornstarch, and milk. Heat over medium heat, stirring
- continuously, until the mixture begins to thicken and bubble.
- Remove from heat and add about 4-5 tablespoons of the milk mixture into the egg yolks while
- whisking continuously.
- Add the egg yolk mixture into the milk and place back on medium heat and bring to a light boil.
- Allow to boil for about 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Remove from heat and add in the butter and vanilla extract and whisk until combined and
- smooth. Allow to come to cool to room temperature. You can add in the refrigerator if needed.
- Make the chocolate ganache by adding the chocolate and syrup into a medium bowl.
- Bring the whipping cream to a low boil, pour over the chocolate chips, and allow to set for 4-5
- minutes. Whisk until smooth.
- Place the ganache in the refrigerator until firm and pipeable, about 1-2 hours.
- Cut out the center of each cupcake by using a knife or I like to use a large piping tip.
- Add the pastry cream to a piping bag with a small tip removed or a sandwich bag and fill the
- center of each cupcake.
- Add the ganache to a piping bag with a large star tip (I used a Wilton 1M) and pipe a rosette on
- top of each cupcake.
- Start from the venter of the cupcake and swirl 2-3 times until the top of
- the cupcake is covered.
Store the cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days. You can also
- refrigerate, but I would recommend bringing to room temperature before serving.