This caramel apple margarita is a fall favorite. Sweet and tart apple paired with creamy and silky smooth caramel flavor in each sip. If you are a lover of all things caramel apple this caramel apple margarita is a must-make drink. Made with tequila, sour apple pucker, apple juice, and real caramel sauce for the perfect sweet to the tart.
This is the perfect cold-weather cocktail to enjoy as you watch the leaves changing this fall. Whether you make it up for an end-of-the-night treat or to serve up at a dinner party, this apple margarita does not disappoint.
Reasons You Will Love This Recipe
- Tart, sweet, and refreshing all in one tequila flavored cocktail.
- Easy everyday ingredients are needed to make this epic fall cocktail recipe.
- Can make a single glass or a pitcher to pour up for a crowd.
- This can be made all year round or just in the fall months when you want a fall-flavored drink.
- Leave out the booze to make this a kid-friendly mocktail.
- You get to control how strong you would like your cocktail to be!
Tequila – For the margarita, you are going to reach for quality tequila. This is the alcohol content profile that is going to really give you that nice boost.
Sour Pucker – To get that apple flavor you will reach for a sour apple pucker. It is going to add that tart punch but also a sweetness that is so refreshing.
Apple Juice – A splash of apple juice will sweeten out the cocktail and truly is a delicious addition.
Caramel Sauce – I do recommend using quality caramel sauce. It is going to compliment the apple nicely in this recipe.
Ice – I used this margarita on ice, so it is a nice chilled cocktail!
Apple – Green apples work great for slicing and garnishing the glass.
Brown Sugar – The brown sugar is coated around the rim for even more sweetness when you go to sip on this tart apple cocktail. I love having the brown sugar rim, over a salt rim.
Variations To Recipe
Here are some fun changes you can make to the green apple margarita recipe. I love it just as it is, but feel free to make swaps to fit your preference.
- Rim the glass with lime juice and then roll in cinnamon sugar mixture instead of brown sugar.
- Use apple cider in replace of apple juice.
- Toss ingredients along with ice in a blender for a blended caramel apple margarita.
- Use apple-flavored tequila instead of a classic.
- Swap the tequila with vodka for a different flavor variation. You can use plain vodka or even an apple vodka.
- Leave out the caramel if you don’t care for the caramel much.
- Drizzle caramel sauce over the top of the cocktail for added sweet flavor.
- Use apple schnapps if you can’t find or don’t like sour apple pucker. Then add a bit of lemon juice for the tart kick to the cocktail.
- Add an extra shot of tequila to make a super strong margarita.
Tips For Success
I love to place my glasses in the freezer for 30 minutes or so to have a nice chilled glass to serve up your margarita. It is going to elevate all the flavors even more and keep the ice from melting as fast.
Flavor of Cocktail
If you find your cocktail is too sweet you can use more tequila, less apple juice, or even less apple pucker. This recipe is very easy for you to adapt.
Garnish your glass with a caramel and brown sugar rim and a fresh apple slice. Or you can do apple and lime wedge, or add a kick of spice with a jalapeno slice. Or even garnish with a cinnamon stick to bring out the fall look.
You can easily adjust the amount you need of each ingredient to double, triple, or make a full pitcher to serve up a group. Just pour, mix, and serve.
Shake Not Stir
Make sure to shake the margarita ingredients and not stir. I find that shaking the cocktail mixture truly helps to blend the ingredients but also mellows all the flavors. Stirring you will find can create imbalances of flavor when you go to sip.
If you find you need a bit more sweet to your margarita reach for agave or simple syrup. Add a little and then taste to fit your sweet profile. I find those two are the best for sweetening a margarita.
Different brands of tequila will alter the flavor a bit. From a Blanco Silver, Anejo which is extra age, or even a Reposado. Typically for this apple margarita, I recommend silver as it will offer the best pairing to the other ingredients. But feel free to experiment.
This cocktail is best served freshly made. But if you happen to not drink it all, drain off the ice and then store the mixture in the fridge. The margarita mixture will be stored for 1-2 days. Shake well and then pour in a glass with ice when you are ready to drink.
Can I make a non-alcoholic version of the caramel apple margarita?
If you want to make a non-alcoholic version leave out the tequila and the sour apple pucker. Use apple cider for the apple juice and ginger ale or lemon-lime soda for the tequila.
How do I rim the glass with caramel and brown sugar?
Dip the rim of the glass in a plate that has some caramel sauce on it. You want just the rim of the glass wet. Then you will have another plate with the brown sugar that you will dip in next.
Can I make a batch of caramel apple margaritas for a party?
Of course! Just adjust the amount of ingredients to make a larger batch according to the amount of people you want to serve it with.
Is there a preferred type of glass for serving caramel apple margaritas?
You can buy a margarita glass for serving up your cocktail. But if you want you can always reach for any style of glass for serving up your cocktail if you don’t own a margarita glass.
More Drink Ideas
Caramel Apple Margarita
- 2 ounces tequila
- 2 ounces sour apple pucker
- 1 ounce apple juice
- 1 cup ice
- Fresh apple slices for garnish
- 2 tbsp. Caramel sauce plus extra for the rim
- Brown sugar for the rim
- Grab two shallow plates. One plate add brown sugar, and the other add some caramel sauce.
- Then grab your margarita glass and dip the glass into the caramel sauce. You will add the sauce to the rim of the glass.
- Then you will dip in the brown sugar, to cover the sauce with the brown sugar. Set it to the side.
- In a cocktail shaker add all the other ingredients in the shaker. Shake well to combine.
- Pour the margarita mixture into a glass with a strainer.
- Garnish with a fresh apple slice! Serve.