Ever since I brought you all my — >Homemade KFC chicken recipe, this Popeyes version has been requested numerous times, FINALLY – here it is!
These pieces of chicken are ULTRA tender & juicy- covered in a spicy, crispy coating that will knock your socks off!
They are unbelievably easy to make, too.
You’ll never go back to the fast food version again!
If you are one of the lucky ones who lives near a Popeyes Chicken restaurant, you will know how BUSY they always are in there- and for good reason! DELICIOUS CHICKEN!
Now you can make that amazing chicken recipe, right at home!
No lines… just you and big plate of perfect juicy chicken!
(no judging here 😉 )
I have an amazing biscuit recipe I will be posting soon to go along with these beauties right here
– stay tuned foodie friends!
Trust me, you can’t eat just one piece! One of my mothers tricks to chicken she taught me was to ‘marinate’ chicken in seasoned buttermilk for 30 minutes or so before frying them.
This allows the buttermilk to tenderize the meat – you do not NEED to do this but my mother recommends it 🙂
The chicken comes out juicy and tender with lots of flavor.
Please remember to SHARE on Facebook and PIN IT!
FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST BY CLICKING HERE
Copycat Popeye’s Chicken – Homemade!
- 10 pieces - mixture of chicken drumsticks & thighs
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 + cups oil of choice peanut or vegetable oil- i like peanut
- Preheat oven to 300F
- If possible, soak the chicken in salt water (to brine) for up to 24 hours before beginning this recipe, not necessary but recommended - OR soak in buttermilk as explained above^
- Place the eggs in one small bowl, beat them, set aside
- Put the flour and spices in a medium second bowl. Stir the spices well into the flour.
- Place an oven-safe cooling rack overtop of a baking sheet - this will serve two purposes during your recipe.
- Dredge each chicken leg in the flour, then the eggs, and then the flour once again. Place the coated drumstick on the cooling rack and repeat with remaining chicken.
- Place your oil in a large dutch oven or stockpot over medium-high heat. (You can use a deep fryer if you'd rather as well)
- Fry the chicken legs in batches of 3 for 2-4 minutes until the coating is golden.
- Remove the chicken to the cooling rack and repeat with remaining chicken.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until an inserted thermometer reads 165F
Did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest for more recipes!
Comments & Reviews
Reba Taylor says
This looks so good. I was wondering if you could use a air fryer and get similar results?
Thank you for great recipes
What do you season the buttermilk with? Also how much buttermilk?
What is seasoned buttermilk?
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about list of gay celebrities wikipedia.