This recipe was taught to me by my mother, I literally took one sip and omg, it was SO good!
You can taste the difference between store bought and homemade for sure!
Its insanely easy to make too- much easier than you would think!
Lets skip the cartons from the supermarket this year and replace it with good ole fashioned homemade goodness of eggnog bliss!
This will keep in the fridge for roughly a week or so, not like my family ever has any leftover eggnog as it is, but you never know 🙂
Adding alcohol is always optional depending on who is going to be enjoying this delicious treat
I usually make one container of each
Please remember to SHARE on Facebook and PIN IT!
- 12 large eggs
- 2 C sugar
- 2 C heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 6 C whole milk
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup alcohol of your choice (rum or bourbon) OPTIONAL
- In a large deep pan, whisk together eggs, sugar and salt while gradually adding in 4 cups of whole milk
- Stir mixture over a low heat until thermometer reaches 160 degrees, do NOT allow it to come to a boil though (important)
- Once it reaches 160 degrees, Immediately transfer the mixture into a large bowl.
- Stir in the vanilla, nutmeg and leftover whole milk.
- Next you put the bowl in an ice water bath, gently mixing until it is cool, then refrigerate for 2 1/2 hours, covered.
- When ready to serve, beat the heavy cream until soft peaks start to form then gently mix it into the cold eggnog mixture.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg if desired
MY OTHER RECIPES