Savor the taste of a comforting, homemade meal with this savory Kielbasa Potato Soup. It’s creamy, cheesy, and loaded with incredible ingredients that take it to the next level.
Enjoy the taste of homemade comfort food with this Kielbasa Potato Soup. Easily made in the kitchen with turkey kielbasa combined with chicken broth, potatoes, cheddar cheese, and other tasty ingredients, it won’t take long for you to assemble something so delicious for the family to enjoy.
Kielbasa Potato Soup
Kielbasa Potato Soup is, by far, one of my favorite meals to make on cold, wintry days. While it’s great any time of the year, you can’t beat having a warm bowl of this comforting soup ready for you on a cold day. It has a slightly smoky taste with a creamy base that will keep you coming back for more. It’s so good that my family and friends often ask me to make it for them because they enjoy it. So, if you’re looking for an easy and delicious homemade soup recipe, give this one a try because it’s truly that amazing.
Why You’ll Love the Kielbasa Soup
- Creamy – If you’re a fan of creamy soups with thicker bases, this is perfect. Ingredients like heavy cream and cheese make it that much more enjoyable.
- Tasty – So many tasty ingredients combine in this soup to make it that much better.
- Quick – This meal doesn’t take all day to prepare. So if you want a quick meal your family can enjoy, this is it.
Potatoes and Kielbasa Soup Ingredients
This easy recipe using kielbasa is absolutely amazing. Before you can prepare it, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Chicken Broth – Start your soup with chicken broth as the base, providing a lot of flavor to the dish.
- Turkey Kielbasa – Chop your kielbasa into small pieces and toss it in the pot with your broth.
- Onion – Grab a small or medium-sized onion, peel it, and chop it into fine pieces.
- Heavy Cream – Make your broth even thicker and more flavorful with the addition of heavy cream.
- Russet Potatoes – Grab up to five russet potatoes to use in this soup.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese – Use a generous amount of cheddar cheese to enhance the taste of this soup even more.
- Lemon Juice – Add a slightly zesty touch to your soup with a hint of lemon juice.
Along with these ingredients, you’ll need a few others, such as kale, olive oil, and seasonings to taste.
Kielbasa Soup Variations
- Use your favorite type of kielbasa in this recipe. While the recipe calls for turkey kielbasa, you can use beef kielbasa, spicy kielbasa, or anything else that you personally like best.
- Toss some diced carrots in the mix. It’s a great way to add more good-for-you ingredients to this wholesome soup.
- Use different seasonings to alter the taste of this soup. For example, you can use more red pepper flakes to make it spicier or even use Cajun seasoning to prepare a Cajun version of this soup.
Kielbasa Potato Soup Notes
- If you don’t have chicken broth, feel free to use vegetable broth as an alternative.
- Not a fan of super creamy soups? You can make a lighter version by using milk instead of heavy cream to prepare it.
- Another way to make this soup a little thinner is to add a bit of water into the mixture and use fewer potatoes. Of course, if you like it thick and creamy, leave it as is to enjoy it that way.
FAQs for Tasty Homemade Kielbasa Soup
What brand of kielbasa do I need to use?
Any brand will do. You can use a name brand or generic brand from the store. You can also go to your local butcher for fresh kielbasa.
Is this soup super cheesy?
No. While adding plenty of cheddar cheese to the soup, it’s still not overly cheesy, so you can enjoy it without feeling like you’re eating dip.
Can I add veggies to this soup?
Yes. Add any veggies you’d like, such as carrots, corn, or even diced pieces of broccoli.
Is this soup spicy?
No, the Kielbasa Potato Soup isn’t spicy. However, if you want it to have a kick, use more red pepper flakes or add a few drops of hot sauce to it.
MORE RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE!
Kielbasa Potato Soup
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 13 oz turkey kielbasa chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4-5 medium/small russet potatoes
- 6 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Peel and chop potatoes into ½”-1” cubes, set aside.
- In the bottom of a soup pot drizzle 2-3 Tablespoons of olive oil. Add in the chopped onion and chopped turkey kielbasa. Sauté on medium high heat until the onions and kielbasa have begun to caramelize.
- Remove the turkey kielbasa and onions from the pot and set aside.
- Add the potatoes to the pot with all of the seasonings, and give them a good mix. Then pour in the chicken broth and lemon juice.
- Cover the pot and let the soup come to a light boil. Continue to boil, covered, until the potatoes are tender (10-15 minutes).
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, carefully use a potato masher, large fork, or immersion blender to mash 75% of the potatoes in the soup, leaving about 24% of the potato pieces whole.
- Add in the heavy cream, stir to combine.
- Slowly add in the cheddar cheese, a little at a time, stirring constantly. Once all the cheese has melted, add the kielbasa and onion mixture back into the soup (*save a few pieces of the kielbasa to garnish if you would like!).
- Add the chopped kale into the soup and mix well. Remove the soup from heat and serve immediately!
- Garnish with additional shredded cheese, chopped kale, kielbasa pieces, and spices!