Looking for the perfect cozy drink to warm you up during the upcoming chilly days? Look no further than RumChata Hot Chocolate! ????☕️Those cool days are inching closer and for that, you will love this sippable RumChata hot chocolate.
Indulging in a mug of creamy hot chocolate is already a treat in itself, but when you add a splash of RumChata to the mix, magic happens. This heavenly concoction combines the smooth richness of hot chocolate with the comforting flavors of rum, cinnamon, vanilla, and sweet cream. It’s like a hug in a mug!
A delicious hot chocolate that is spiked with RumChata for a boozy twist. Swirl on some whipped cream and enjoy an adult beverage as you sit by the fire. This hot chocolate with alcohol is delicious in the fall and winter months.
RumChata is a rum-based liqueur that is paired with vanilla and warm spices. This is a sweeter alcohol mix that is often used to mix in with coffee, milkshakes, and other styles of mixed drinks. The warm cinnamon flavor really has become a favorite around the globe.
This would be a great drink to whip up for the adults and just classic hot chocolate for the kids. Then sip as you stargaze on a beautiful and cool fall night.
Now you might head over and check out this cinnamon roll cocktail that has RumChata as the winning ingredient in this recipe.
Reasons You Will Love This RumChata Hot Chocolate
- Simple steps to elevate a cup of hot chocolate into a whole new world of flavors.
- Full of warm spices and it fits the holiday season. This boozy hot chocolate recipe is one that is great for serving guests.
- Sip on while you watch your favorite movie or as you reminisce about childhood with your family. This hot chocolate can be served for any occasion.
- Easy to make with minimal effort.
- You can use homemade hot chocolate or opt to buy your favorite packet at the store. Both work equally well.
What is the best alcohol for hot chocolate?
There are a handful of alcohols that will really complement the rich and creamy flavors of hot chocolate. Let me share some of them with you below.
RumChata – Of course I had to include this in the list. This creamy and rum-based alcohol offers a nice kick but also the warm spices almost hide it is a boozy drink.
Peppermint Schnapps – If you are a lover of peppermint and chocolate this will automatically be a home run for you!
Whiskey – Bourbon-based whiskey is going to add a robust and rich flavor to the hot chocolate. This is a bolder choice for sure.
Amaretto – Amaretto offers a sweet almond flavor, and it will as well complement the chocolate. A splash will do you on this one! Add on a swirl of whipped cream and this transforms into a dessert!
Bailey’s Irish Cream – This is a very popular choice as it is going to add a sweet twist to the drink. It is truly a creamy and delicious addition.
Spiced Rum – Rum is another option and you will get a similar result like you would with whiskey. It is going to offer that spicy kick with each sip.
Now there are more alcohols that could be used for making your hot chocolate into a booze-filled drink. These are just some of the most popular options. Feel free to try out different recipes and find what you like the best.
Hot Chocolate – Nothing special is needed just grab your favorite packet of hot chocolate. I grabbed the classic Swiss Miss hot chocolate mix.
Milk – Instead of water you will use milk and this is going to really offer a richer flavor to your hot chocolate.
Rumchata – An ounce of this Rumchata is going to really transform the drink into a whole new warm spice-filled drink.
Whipped Cream – Love whipped cream? Add a small dollop or swirl it on top for a decadent topping for the hot chocolate.
Variations to The Recipe
- Add in a few drops of peppermint extract or even a creme de menthe for a minty twist to the warm spices.
- Add a shot of espresso to the hot chocolate as well as the RumChata.
- Line your glass with swirls of chocolate syrup or even caramel for added sweetness.
- Add in some orange liqueur for an enhanced flavor.
- Sprinkle some chocolate shavings on top of the whipped cream.
- Add marshmallows to allow them to melt. It will truly be a delicious pairing.
- Add in some frozen raspberries or fresh to give a fruity twist. For more raspberry flavor you can muddle the fruit before you pour in the hot chocolate.
Refrigerate: So this is a drink that you will make as you plan to serve it up. You will find you can refrigerate the leftovers for 1-2 days but it is best made fresh and served. If you do refrigerate any of the leftover hot chocolate mixture just stir well before you go to drink to re-incorporate the ingredients.
Freeze: Consider pouring the leftover hot chocolate into an ice cube tray. Then once frozen fully transfer to a freezer container or bag. Then use the ice cubes for flavoring cocktails or even make an iced RumChata hot chocolate. These are a great boozy boost for drinks.
Can I use heavy cream to make hot chocolate?
You are welcome to use heavy cream if you want in replace of the milk. I find it is a bit too rich for me, but you could also do 3/4 milk and 1/4 of the heavy cream to richen the hot chocolate.
Can I use homemade hot chocolate for this cocktail?
Of course. Feel free to use your favorite hot chocolate recipe if you don’t want to use a pre-made powder mix. Just mix up the hot chocolate as you would like and then add in the booze and enjoy.
What is the difference between hot cocoa and hot chocolate?
While the name is often used for either drink, you will find there is a difference between the two. Hot cocoa has a richer and sweeter flavor compared to a hot chocolate. Hot chocolate is made with real chocolate when made from scratch so it is thicker and richer in flavor.
More Boozy Drinks
RumChata Hot Chocolate
- 1 packet of Swiss Miss hot chocolate mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ounce Rumchata
- Whipped cream for topping optional
- Start by adding your milk in a microwave safe mug. Heat for 1 1/2-2 minutes. You want the milk warm and steamy.
- Stir in the hot chocolate packet, and mix until it is fully incorporated.
- Add in an ounce of Rumchata and then stir to combine.
- Top with whipped cream if you want and serve!