The BEST EVER Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate recipe! Creamy, thick and made from scratch! Perfect for those cool winter nights!
Throw away all those cheap hot cocoa powders! This recipe is sure to become a favorite in your house! Its wonderful to make a big slow cooker full and have a hot cocoa bar! All little bowls of all everyone’s favorite toppings & mugs next to the slow cooker and let everyone serve themselves!
Step 1 is so the cocoa powder mixes in easier. If you add everything into the slow cooker at once it will take a very long time to mix the cocoa powder in. It tends to want to just sit on top and not mix in, so I find this step makes it easier.
Do I need to keep mixing?
Yes! Make sure you are whisking/stirring every 20 minutes or so so the chocolate will not burn on the sides.
This recipe makes a very thick and creamy hot chocolate, thinner than drinking chocolate, but thicker than a classic “swiss miss”!
Can I make it thinner?
Yes, if you want it thinner like a normal hot chocolate, use 2 cups of heavy cream instead of 4, and add 2 cups of milk in its place.
You can also use 2% or whatever milk you prefer to thin it out. I personally love it as is, it’s so luscious and decadent, a true treat!!
Do I have to use a baking bar?
Nope! You can use semi-sweet chocolate chips in place of the baking bar. I suggest using higher quality chocolate, so it melts nicely.
Rich and delicious and better than any of that powder kind! This is a deluxe version that once you try it, you’ll never go back to the boxed crap!
Having a holiday party? This is a sure fire way to serve a crowd.
Can I add alcohol?
Of course! I recommend having bottles of different kinds on the side so everyone can add a little to their own mugs and not in the slow cooker itself, so that if someone wants a non-alcoholic version or the kids want a cup – they can!
What types of alcohol would taste good in this hot chocolate?
a few of my favorites are Baileys Irish Cream, Rumchata or even whipped cream flavored vodka!
This is a recipe you are going to come back to time and time again- its so good and it always gets rave reviews!
Please remember to SHARE on Facebook and PIN IT!
Makes 12 servings
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 cups whole milk
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 12 ounces semi-sweet baking bar, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- your favorite toppings
- Add half of the heavy cream to the slow cooker.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder until combined, this might take a while.
- Add the remaining cream, milk, sweetened condensed milk, chopped chocolate, and vanilla, stir to combine.
- Place on low for 3 hours, stirring every 20 minutes or so until the chocolate is melted and fully combined.
- Keep on the warm setting for up to 3 hours for serving.
- If the hot chocolate gets too thick while it sits, you can stir in more milk to your desired thickness.
- Serve with your desired toppings such as marshmallows, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, or crushed candy canes!
Join Our Community of Over 15 Million Followers
My Incredible RecipesLike @MyIncredibleRecipes today to never miss a recipe.
Recipes From HeavenLike @WeLoveRecipesFromHeaven to join 6 Million others.