Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Soup is ultra creamy, cheesy and packed full of flavor!
Are you curious about making a fun new soup that classifies as comfort food? This Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Soup recipe is ready for you!
Enjoying comfort food when it gets colder outside is important. You are cold, so naturally, you want to taste something warm! This Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Soup is delicious! The soup is made with Italian sausage, crushed tomatoes, heavy cream, and tortellini. This recipe also includes the perfect amount of spices to make your meal extra tasty!
Tortellini Soup in the Crock Pot
There is always that recipe that the whole family enjoys. This Tortellini Soup is THAT recipe because everyone enjoys the creaminess of it. It’s a mixture of the perfect protein, veggies, broth – and you can serve it alongside a rustic loaf of Italian bread. You can use the bread and dip it into the soup, you will be in heaven!
What is Tortellini Soup?
Anything can be made into a soup and Tortellini Soup is proof of that! If you don’t know what tortellini is, it’s simple. It’s a ring-shaped pasta that is stuffed with something. Sometimes it’s stuffed with meat and other times it’s stuffed with Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
Most of the time, the store-bought version is stuffed with basic cheese, nothing special. However, when transformed into a soup, the Tortellini absorbs the flavor of the spices and the broth. The pasta becomes so tasty!
Ingredients Used to Make Tortellini Soups
This recipe is comfort food, which means it contains many ingredients that would help it classify as comfort food. Check out the main ingredients in this soup. You’ll want to make sure you have everything on hand to make it in the slow cooker. Keep in mind that the recipe card will have the full list of ingredients!
Italian sausage – You can use mild or spicy. It’s great that you can use whichever sausage you’d like to make this meal.
Olive oil – A basic but important ingredient in this recipe.
Onion, garlic, carrots, and celery – Using fresh ingredients is going to get you the best soup possible!
Crushed tomatoes – The broth of this soup will be so tasty because of the tomatoes.
Tomato paste – Another vital ingredient to help make the soup tasty!
Thyme and Oregano – For this ingredient, you can use fresh or from the container.
Chicken broth – You can use your own chicken broth or use it from the container.
Tortellini – You do not want to use dried tortellini, you will want to use refrigerated. Feel free to use any brand you’d like.
Kale – Make sure you don’t forget this part of this recipe! Fresh kale makes the soup yummy!
Heavy cream – You can use half and half for a lower fat version of Parmesan.
Chili flakes – A little spice to this soup recipe will make your taste buds very happy.
How to Make Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Soup
Please see the recipe card for how to make the Tortellini Soup in its entirety. This is an abbreviated version.
Take your choice of sauce and cook it until it’s done.
Go ahead and add the sausage to the crockpot.
Saute the onions in the pan.
Add all of the ingredients except the tortellini, kale, and heavy cream to the crock pot.
Allow the soup to cook on high for 2 hours. You can also cook it on low for four hours.
Once you’ve done this, go ahead and add the pasta and the kale, let it cook for another 30 minutes.
After it has cooked for this long, you will add the heavy cream, allowing it to cook a little longer.
What type of kale should I use for this recipe?
Fresh kale is best for this recipe. If for some reason you cannot find fresh kale, then you can always use frozen spinach.
Can I freeze this Tortellini Soup?
The answer is yes! Make sure you allow the soup to cool down before placing it in the freezer. You’ll want to make sure you store it in a freezer-friendly container. Make sure you label and consume within 3-6 months.
The next time you are looking for comfort food to make for your family, give this Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Soup a try. It’s so easy to make and each bite is flavorful. It’s the perfect soup to make for the freezer too, so you can enjoy it in the upcoming months.
Please remember to SHARE on Facebook and PIN IT!
Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound Italian or spicy sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 large carrots, sliced thin
- 2 celery stalks, sliced thin
- 1 14 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, leaves removed and minced finely or 1/2 teaspoon dried 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 10 ounce bag refrigerated tortellini (not dried)
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped lightly or 1/2 bag frozen chopped kale
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese, optional (grated or sliced for serving)
- 1 tablespoon dried chili flakes
- In a sauté pan, cook the sausage till it is no longer pink, then place in the crock pot. Add the olive oil to the pan and cook the onions for 4 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add the onions to the crockpot.
- Next, add the carrots, celery, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, thyme, oregano and chicken broth to the crockpot.
- Place the lid on the crockpot and set on high for 2 hours or low for 4.
- Remove the lid and add the tortellini and kale to the crockpot. Place the lid back on and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve each bowl of soup with a few thin slices of parmesan and a sprinkle of chili flakes.