St Patrick’s Day Pudding Cups recipe is an enjoyable dessert for your children to look forward to! They’re colorful, cute, and absolutely delicious!
St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner and you need a flavorful dessert to help you celebrate. Try these delicious St. Patrick’s Day Pudding Cups!
When you would like to make something sweet and special for your loved ones, try these St. Patrick’s Day Pudding Cups. They have the perfect taste and are easy to prepare with layers of instant pudding, whipped toppings, and cookies, all of which pair perfectly together to create the perfect parfait cups. Make this pudding cups recipe whenever you’re in the mood for a sweet, simple treat.
Flavorful Green Pudding
The flavorful green pudding is a must-have for St. Patrick’s Day. You can decorate these pudding cups with lots of fun treats, including Airheads and gold chocolate coins, along with other goodies that you think your children will enjoy. Once you’ve prepared these pudding cups, you and the kids can enjoy them as a sweet treat after dinner!
Why You’ll Love This Pudding Cups Recipe
It’s a no-bake dessert that you can prepare in anticipation of St. Patrick’s Day!
These pudding cups are absolutely delicious and consist of several layers of goodness, including vanilla pudding, chocolate pudding, and whipped cream.
It won’t take long to prepare this sweet treat. Once you’ve made the pudding cups, you can set them in the fridge to chill and then serve.
Pudding Parfait Ingredients
Chocolate Pudding – Be sure to use a packet of instant pudding for this recipe!
Milk – You’ll need two cups of milk to prepare the pudding.
Vanilla Pudding – Grab a box of instant vanilla pudding to go with your chocolate pudding, too!
Heavy Cream – Use the heavy cream for added flavor and texture.
Vanilla Extract – A touch of extract enhances the taste of this sweet treat.
Oreo Cookies – You can use traditional chocolate or any other type of Oreo cookies you like.
In addition to these ingredients, you’re going to need some whipped topping, green food coloring, and some decorations, such as rainbow Airheads, sprinkles, chocolate gold coins, and crushed Oreo bits and pieces!
What brand of instant pudding should I use?
The Jell-O brand is an excellent one to choose when using instant pudding to prepare these St. Patrick’s Day Pudding Cups. However, it’s fine to use the generic brand of instant pudding, too. Use what you can find or what you prefer over everything else to make these sweet treats taste even better.
Do I have to use Oreo cookies in this recipe?
No, you don’t necessarily have to use Oreo cookies in this recipe. While they go great with it, you can use any sandwich cookie that you prefer, including a generic option. You can also use any type of Oreo cookies that you’d like, such as the traditional chocolate ones with the white cream filling or any other flavor, such as mint chocolate or brownie.
Are there other extracts I can use?
Yes! While vanilla extract adds hints of vanilla to these pudding cups, you can also use a mint extract if you’d like these pudding cups to taste more like you’re biting into a Peppermint Patty or Andes Mint.
What can I do if I don’t have heavy cream?
If you don’t have heavy cream, you can substitute it with whole milk. You can also melt a bit of butter and add it to a cup of whole milk to create your own homemade heavy cream. If you don’t have either option, half-and-half is another good substitute for heavy cream.
Recipe Notes & Tips
If you whip the vanilla pudding with the heavy cream, it creates this light, fluffy mousse that you’ll absolutely want to devour. Give it a try!
Adding a bit of vanilla extract helps to remove any bitter taste that comes from the food coloring added to this treat. Of course, you don’t have to use it, and you have the option of using other extracts to get different flavors.
Be sure to use whipped topping for this recipe, not Reddi Whip. The whipped topping will hold up better between the layers, whereas the whipped cream in the spray simply won’t do the same.
Try these delicious, easy-to-prepare St. Patrick’s Day Pudding Cups. They’re fun to make and decorate, but even more enjoyable to eat with loved ones on St. Patrick’s Day!
● We decided to whip the vanilla pudding with heavy cream – and its heaven! It makes a delicious mousse and looks similar to buttercream.
● We added vanilla extract to the vanilla pudding to offset the taste of the food coloring. Depending on the type of food coloring, it can leave a bitter taste…the vanilla extract offsets that!
● Make sure to you WHIPPED TOPPING not canned Reddi Whip – Cool whip is more stabilized and will hold up between the layers, Reddi Whip will just melt and flatten. You readers could also make their own homemade whipped cream if they prefer!
The pudding cups should be covered and stored in the fridge. They will last for up to 3 days but are best eaten the same day. Freezing them is not recommended as it will change the texture.
Can I make these ahead of time?
You can, but the cookies will lose their crunchy texture over time. You could leave the tops bare, and add your decorations just before serving.
I’m thinking that 2 cups of heavy cream is a lot to use in this dessert – can I make it a little “lighter”?
You could mix the vanilla pudding with 1 cup of heavy cream and 1 cup of milk. This will still give it a fluffy texture but be a little lighter. In this case you will whip the1 cup of heavy cream by itself. Then mix the pudding and 1 cup of milk in a separate bowl. (Add the mint and green food coloring to this mixture if desired.) Then gently fold the whipped cream into the pudding mixture.
I like to eat dairy-free – is that possible with this recipe?
Check that your pudding mix is dairy free. And then, instead of using milk and heavy cream, you could substitute coconut milk, almond milk, cashew milk, or rice milk. The pudding may not be as thick and creamy but will still be delicious.
I don’t have an electric hand mixer – what is the best way to mix the pudding?
You will want to use a whisk. Put the pudding mix powder into the bowl first. Then add just a little milk at a time, whisking it smooth after each addition, until all of the milk is blended in smooth
Please remember to SHARE on Facebook and PIN IT!
St Patricks Day Pudding Cups
- 1 (3.9 ounce) box of instant chocolate pudding
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (3.9 ounce) box of instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (or mint, depending on your tastes)
- Green food coloring
- 8 Oreo cookies (any cream filled chocolate cookies)
- 8 oz container of whipped topping
- Decorations: Rainbow Airheads, chocolate gold coins, sprinkles, oreo crumbs
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Serving Size: 4 (8 oz cups - if you use small disposable party cups you can make 6-8)
- Pour in 2 cups of milk into a medium bowl, then add the chocolate pudding mix.
- Use a hand mixer to combine the 2 ingredients and beat on low for 2 minutes, then place in the refrigerator for 5 minutes to set up.
- In a separate bowl, pour in the 2 cups of heavy cream and add the vanilla pudding mix.
- Begin by beating the ingredients together at low speed, Then gradually beat at a faster speed, until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Beat in the vanilla extract and green food coloring (to your desired color).
- Place a thick layer of the chocolate pudding into each of your 4 cups.
- Then add a layer of the green whipped pudding.
- Next, add a layer of crumbled oreo cookies.
- Then a layer of whipped topping.
- Top it off with a large dollop of the green whipped pudding.
- Decorate with a chocolate gold coin and oreo crumbs.
- Place them in the fridge and serve chilled.