Fall just got a whole lot tastier with these Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Bites. These are a heat-treated spice cake mix, pumpkin puree, cream cheese, and more all formed into balls and dipped in white chocolate. These bite-size balls are bursting with pumpkin pie spice in each bite.
These cheesecake pumpkin bites are the perfect addition to your holiday entertaining or midweek sweet cravings. Simple ingredients that offer a big fall flavor turnout.
If you consider yourself a pumpkin spice lover, then you might want to check out these other fun fall favorites. Be sure to check out my pumpkin cheesecake bars, pumpkin pie crisp, or even this iced pumpkin oatmeal cookie recipe.
What Are Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Bites?
Pumpkin cheesecake balls are a no-bake treat. You will heat treat the flour to make it safe to eat in edible form and then pair it with cream cheese and a few other ingredients. Roll into balls, dip in white creamy chocolate, and top with pumpkin spice seasoning.
A bite-size pumpkin spice truffle that melts in your mouth! Now if you like truffles and cheesecake bites, I have a few more for you to try. These sugar cookie truffles are so popular on the blog. Or whip up these easy rum balls for a tasty dessert idea.
Reasons You Will Love These Pumpkin Cheesecake Bites
- No bake dessert, that is full of fall flavors in each bite.
- Simple ingredients that are budget-friendly. So a great dessert for making when you don’t have a lot of money to spend.
- Family-friendly flavors and even little kids love to eat them.
- Quick and easy prep, so it won’t take too long to make these bite-sized treats.
- Pumpkin spice flavored for all the PSL fans for the fall season.
Spice Cake – You will use a box of spiced cake mix. Now, you have to heat treat to kill off any food-borne pathogens on the raw flour. You can microwave or cook in the oven.
Pumpkin – Pumpkin puree is used to create that rich pumpkin flavor and also a velvety creamy texture to the bites.
Cream Cheese – Softened cream cheese is used for the cheesecake flavor of these cheesecake bites.
Vanilla – A splash of vanilla is used to make all the ingredients more vibrant in flavor.
Salt – Sea salt truly enhances all the flavors of the ingredients. I always say salt is a must when it comes to baking.
White Chocolate – White chocolate candy melting wafers are what I used for the coating of these balls.
Crisco – This is going to help ensure you get a very smooth melted candy melts and it is going to help speed up the setting up process to create a nice hard shell.
Pumpkin Pie Spice – Top your cheesecake balls with a sprinkle of pumpkin spice and it will add flavor but also look gorgeous for presentation value.
Variations To Recipe
Here are a few ways to change up the pumpkin cheesecake balls to fit your preference! Pick and choose the changes you would like.
- Swap out the candy melts and use white chocolate, dark chocolate chips, milk chocolate, etc. for melting and dipping.
- Dust the balls with cocoa powder instead of pumpkin pie spice seasoning.
- Roll the balls in a cinnamon sugar mixture with a bit of pumpkin spice seasoning. This will add a crisp and sweet texture to the balls.
- Mix in 1/4 cup of crushed graham crackers or even crushed Oreo cookies to the cheesecake batter. This will give the bites a nice crunch for a crust texture.
- Add in 2 tablespoons of real maple syrup to richen the flavor of fall flavors in these balls.
- Fold in some pecans or walnuts that are fully chopped. Or you can top the balls with nuts.
- Use a dairy-free replacement for the cream cheese if you want to make a vegan-friendly treat. Same for dairy-free chocolate.
- Place the cheesecake balls on a skewer stick for a popsicle-style cheesecake bite.
Tips for Success
A hand mixer or stand mixer are both great for ensuring you get a nice creamy well-mixed batter. While a whisk works, I just find a stand mixer really incorporates the ingredients nicely.
Heat Treating Flour Mixture
You need to heat treat the flour mixture to get rid of any food-borne pathogens on the raw flour. You treat raw flour the same way you do raw eggs.
Softened Cream Cheese
The cream cheese needs to be softened otherwise it will not whip up nice and creamy and blend well with the other ingredients. So make sure to take the time to allow the cream cheese to become room temperature.
Use a cookie scoop to ensure you get evenly sized-balls. This is going to give a nice uniform look to the cheesecake bites.
It is important to refrigerate the mixture so that it holds its shape and won’t melt and break down once it is dipped in the melted chocolate.
Parchment Lined Tray
I do line a cookie sheet with parchment paper to help create a nonstick surface to place my balls on. This is going to make it easy to move the bites around the kitchen if you need to and create a non-stick surface.
Top with Pumpkin Spice As You Go
The chocolate will set up pretty quickly so once you dip a ball in the melted candy melts and place it on the table, dust it with pumpkin spice seasoning. That way you ensure it sticks to the chocolate.
These pumpkin spice cheesecake bites need to be stored in a sealed container in the fridge. They will last for 4-7 days in the fridge.
You could also freeze the cheesecake bites if you want to store some for later. Place in a freezer container and freeze for 3-4 months. Then thaw in the fridge for a slow thaw.
Can I Make Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Bites Ahead of Time?
Go right ahead and make these 1-2 days ahead of when you want to serve them. They will store great in the fridge in the meantime. If you stack the bites in a container just place wax paper between the layers.
What’s the Best Coating for Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Bites?
You will find that you can use candy melts or melted chocolate. Just make sure to add in some shortening or coconut oil with the chocolate to help create a smooth texture but also to help ensure it sets hard.
Are Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Bites Suitable for Parties?
Yes, these are great bite-sized desserts to take to a party, family gathering, or special occasion. Just store them in a portable container and take them to an event or whip them up and serve them at home. You can easily double the recipe to create extra bites to have on hand if you are serving a larger crowd.
More Fall Recipes
Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Bites
- Box of spice cake mix heat treated (see notes)
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 cups white chocolate melting wafers
- 1 tablespoon crisco
- Pumpkin pie or pumpkin spice seasoning
- Add cake mix, cream cheese, pumpkin, vanilla, and sea salt to a large mixing bowl. Blend using an electric hand mixer for 2-3 minutes until smooth. It should be sticky and somewhat sticky.
- Place bowl inside the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- After chill time is complete, prepare a large baking sheet (I use a 11×17) with parchment paper. Use a 2 tablespoon measuring spoon to scoop mixture from bowl and roll into a round ball. Repeat until you have 15-18 balls on the sheet.
- Place inside the refrigerator and chill for another 2 hours. Half way through, you can smooth out the balls, rolling them again to smooth the shape.
- Near the end of the chill time, began preparing your melting chocolate. Add wafers to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on 50% power for 1 minute. Add in crisco, stir, and continue heating in 30 second bursts, stirring in between, until the mixture is smooth.
- Remove the baking sheet from the refrigerator. Working one ball at a time, use two forks or dipping tools, dip each ball into the white chocolate covering it completely. Allow all excess chocolate to drip off of the ball (be sure to also scrape the bottoms of your forks/tools to remove any excess chocolate) before adding it back to the baking sheet. Immediately top with a dash of pumpkin pie spice.
- Repeat step 6 for each ball. Place the baking sheet back inside the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.
- MICROWAVE INSTRUCTIONS for heat treating cake mix: To heat treat the cake mix, microwave the cake mix in a microwave safe bowl for (2) 30-second intervals stirring in between. Allow the cake mix to come to room temperature before using.
- OVEN INSTRUCTIONS for heat treating cake mix: place cake mix on a large cookie sheet prepared with parchment paper. Evenly spread your cake mix out to cover the entire sheet. Cook cake mix at 350 degrees for 5 minutes and allow it to come to room temperature before use.