Prepare a sweet and flavorful treat with this recipe for Strawberries & Cream Cake Roll. It’s the perfect dessert to serve at any family gathering with loved ones. Perfect for the Holidays or Valentines Day!
What’s not to love about a light, sweet, and fluffy treat that you can devour with friends and family? Each bite of this Strawberries & Cream Cake Roll will melt in your mouth, satisfying your craving for something sweet and delicious!
Strawberries & Cream Cake Roll
If you’ve ever had a swiss roll, you know how good they taste. From the fluffy, slightly moist cake to that cream in the center, there is simply something so enjoyable about biting into such a treat. But what if you could make something similar at home? With this Strawberries & Cream Cake Roll recipe, it’s entirely possible. I love this recipe for a lot of reasons! It’s like having a strawberry shortcake with less mess! If you enjoy strawberry flavoring and are looking for the perfect dessert recipe to prepare, this is it!
Why You’ll Love This Strawberry Swiss Roll Recipe
- Easy – You’re preparing this cake from scratch, but it’s much easier than you might think. If you want something you can prepare in no time, this is a great recipe to choose from.
- Sweet – This cake roll is absolutely delicious and perfect for anyone with a sweet tooth. If you know you’re always craving something sweet after dinner, give this recipe a try because it doesn’t disappoint.
- Tasty – Who needs to visit a bakery when you can prepare something so flavorful right at home? Save money while making the most impressive dessert for your loved ones to enjoy with you.
Cake Roll Ingredients
- All-Purpose Flour – Begin with flour as the base for your sponge cake.
- Granulated Sugar – You’ll need to divide the granulated sugar, using ½ cup and then ⅓ cup later.
- Eggs – Grab six eggs and separate the yolks from the egg whites for this recipe.
- Vanilla – Enhance the taste of your homemade sponge cake by adding a hint of vanilla to it.
- Strawberry Jam – Use jam as the filling to give your cake roll a sweeter, more enjoyable flavor.
- Heavy Whipping Cream – Prepare the perfect sweet cream from scratch using a bit of heavy whipping cream.
- Powdered Sugar – Combine your powdered sugar with the heavy cream to create a sweeter taste.
You’ll only need a few other ingredients to complete this recipe, such as corn syrup, canola oil, water, salt, and baking powder.
Strawberries & Cream Cake Roll Notes
- Be sure to beat your egg whites long enough to the point that soft peaks begin to form. You’ll want to add your sugar a little at a time while continuing to beat.
- Fold your egg yolks into the mixture instead of mixing them into your batter with a spoon.
- Make sure you have a clean towel ready to use when you wrap this cake up with the jam and cream in the center. Of course, you’ll need to let the cake cool before you begin wrapping it up to avoid burning your fingers on the hot cake.
Cake Roll Variations
- Use different types of jams to create the perfect flavor for your cake roll. For example, if you don’t want to use strawberry jam, you can replace it with raspberry, blackberry, or even blueberry jam.
- If you’d like to add a chocolate touch to your cake roll, you can spread a thin layer of Nutella when adding your cream and jam to it. The chocolate hazelnut spread will go great with the sweet taste of the jam.
- After you’ve rolled the cake, you can drizzle a homemade glaze on top of it. Prepare the glaze by combining heavy cream with powdered sugar and vanilla extract. It adds that extra touch to such a simple yet truly enjoyable dessert.
Swiss Roll FAQs
How will I know when the cake is ready to remove from the oven?
The cake needs to be baked for a minimum of 15 minutes and up to 18 minutes. You can check it in the oven and pull it out when it has that rich golden color to it.
Do I have to sprinkle powdered sugar on top?
No, powdered sugar is optional. However, it does add a sweeter touch to the Strawberries & Cream Cake Roll. If you don’t want to use powdered sugar, you can leave it out of this recipe or even create a glaze to add to your cake roll.
Should I trim the edges of the cake roll?
It’s entirely up to you! I like to trim the edges to make the cake roll look even more appealing, but you can leave them.
More Recipes You Will Love!
Strawberries & Cream Cake Roll
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 + 1/3 cup granulated sugar divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs whites and yolks separated, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/3 vegetable/canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Spray with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add together egg yolks, 1/2 cup of sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, and water. Beat over medium-high speed until pale, about 5 minutes.
- In a separate large bowl, add the egg whites and beat on high until soft peaks form. Gradually add the 1/3 cup of sugar in three equal parts. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add about half of the egg whites to the yolk mixture. Gently fold in using a spatula.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients into the batter in three equal parts, gently folding after each addition.
- Fold in the oil and then the remaining egg whites. Do not over mix. Be careful not to deflate the mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking sheet. Spread it into an even layer.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden and the cake springs back to the touch.
- Meanwhile, prepare a kitchen towel by dusting it generously with powdered sugar. Once baked, loosen the edges of the cake with a knife. Flip the cake into the prepared towel. Peel back the parchment paper, then roll the cake up. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Beat the heavy cream with powdered sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Gently unroll the cooled cake. Spread with jam and whipped cream. Roll the cake up. Trim the edges, if desired. Top with powdered sugar.