Looking for that perfect comfort food dinner? Try my Crock Pot Chicken and Noodles! Filled with tender and juicy chicken, veggies, cream of chicken soup, and egg noodles all in one crockpot meal. Serve over a bed of mashed potatoes or eat it like a soup. The choice is yours!
I am a sucker for a good crock pot meal, and this chicken and noodle recipe is one that we keep in constant rotation in the fall and winter months. Chilly nights call for a stick-to-your-bones type of dinner.
Reasons You Will Love These Crock Pot Chicken and Noodles
- A one-pot dinner that is to prep, and when you come home after a long day you can enjoy a comforting meal.
- Family-friendly dinner that even little kids will enjoy. A great way to get a few veggies into their diet.
- Slow cooker meals are very convenient. You can get your dinner going in the morning and walk away for the day. Come back and finish up for a hands-off meal.
- A comfort food meal that will soothe the soul and warm you up from the inside out on chilly days.
- I love eating leftover chicken and noodles, they reheat well for easy lunches later in the week.
- Versatile in swapping out ingredients to fit your preference.
Ingredients You Need
Chicken – I used boneless skinless chicken for this recipe. The thing is make sure it is boneless chicken.
Seasonings – Garlic salt, dried onion, and black pepper are what you will use for seasoning the chicken and noodles.
Stock – Reach for chicken stock, whether you make homemade stock or buy your favorite brand.
Cream Soup – Cream of condensed chicken soup is going to offer that creamy and thick texture to the creamy chicken and noodles recipe.
Veggies – Carrots and peas are what I used to add to the mixture for added flavor.
Butter – Reach for real butter, not margarine.
Noodles – I used the brand Reames, which is found in the freezer section at the grocery store. These are egg noodles.
Variations To Recipe
- Zest a lemon and add it to the chicken and noodle soup.
- Use cream of mushroom soup in replace of cream of chicken soup.
- Reach for bone broth instead of chicken broth for added nutrients.
- Feel free to take or leave out the veggies in the recipe if you want.
- Add in some creole seasoning for added spice and flavor to the soup.
- Leave out the cream soup for a more classic chicken and noodles.
- Mix in some Italian herbs for added flavor to the mixture.
- Feel free to use leftover chicken from a rotisserie chicken or meal prep-style chicken you have on hand.
Tips for Success
If you are working with any boneless chicken make sure to trim fat away, remove tendons if it is chicken tenderloins, etc. Prep the chicken in advance.
Before serving you will remove the chicken and use two forks to shred the chicken or even opt to chop or use meat claws. I am a big fan of the meat claws. You want to ensure you offer bite-size pieces for those who eat.
Low and Slow
I highly recommend when you cook chicken you do it low and slow. The reason I say that is you will find that cooking your chicken on high can cause it to become a bit rubbery. But if you are in a rush feel free to cook on high.
I wanted to share one of my all-time favorite comfort food recipes that my family loves! My Crockpot Chicken and Noodles. When it comes to chilly evenings or days when I want a hearty meal but don’t have much time to spare, this dish is an absolute lifesaver.
If you want to enhance the flavor you can saute diced onions in a pan and even the carrots to enhance the flavor of this recipe. Now you can swap the minced dried onions with fresh if you do want to saute.
You can also use dried egg noodles in replace of the frozen noodles. If you use dried I recommend cooking them as directed on the package and then mixing them into the dish before you go to serve it up.
Serve with mashed potatoes, and a bed of rice, or eat like a soup. This is a hearty and comforting dish so you can eat it plain or pair it with other items for added richness.
Go right ahead and use frozen vegetables over fresh if you want. You can buy a bag of mixed vegetables and toss them in for added flavor and nutrients in the dish.
This dish is not only delicious, but it also leaves you with minimal cleanup, as the crockpot does most of the work for you. The chicken turns out incredibly tender, and the rich flavors of the broth, vegetables, and herbs create a harmonious combination you won’t be able to resist.
Refrigerate any of the crock pot chicken and noodles you do not eat right away. The mixture will be stored for 3-4 days in the fridge. Then when you want to reheat warm in the microwave or in a pan on the stovetop.
In terms of freezing it can be done, but the texture of the noodles and such will vary a bit. You can freeze for 1-2 months. Then thaw in the fridge before you go to reheat.
Do I need to cook the noodles separately when making creamy chicken and noodles in a slow cooker?
If you are using frozen egg noodles you will just add them at the end about an hour or so before your dish is done. The noodles will cook in the liquid. Now, if you are using dried noodles, then yes cook in a pot and stir in.
Can I use frozen chicken in the slow cooker for creamy chicken and noodles?
There is a huge debate on cooking frozen chicken in the slow cooker. They say it spends too much time in the danger zone (40-140 degrees) before it begins to cook and then bacteria can begin to grow.
How long should I cook creamy chicken and noodles in the slow cooker?
You will cook for around 5-6 hours or until the chicken is fully cooked and your noodles are cooked through. I like to cook on low, but if you need to speed up the cook time you can opt for the higher setting.
In my opinion, this recipe is perfect for cozy nights in, busy weekdays, or even when you’re seeking some nostalgic, home-cooked goodness. So, gather your ingredients, let your crockpot work its magic, and enjoy the heartwarming delight that is crockpot chicken and noodles!
Crockpot Chicken and Noodles are pure comfort food at its best! So creamy and packed full of juicy chicken, its a classic meal that will feed a hungry crowd! It doesn’t get much easier than this delicious comforting crock pot chicken and noodles recipe!
Can I make this dish ahead of time and reheat it in the slow cooker?
Go right ahead and make this dish a day before you plan to serve it up. Just cook it as directed and refrigerate until you are ready to serve. Then just warm back up in the slow cooker or on the stovetop.
More Crock Pot Recipes
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken and Stuffing
- Crock Pot Beef and Potato Au Gratin
- Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup
Crock Pot Chicken and Noodles
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon minced dried onion
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 10.5 ounce cans cream of chicken soup
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 24 ounce bag frozen noodles (I used Reames)
- Add your chicken breasts to the crock pot. Aim for a single layer.
- Sprinkle on the garlic salt, dried onions, and pepper.
- Slowly pour in the chicken stock, cream soups, and carrots and butter.
- Cover with lid and cook on low 4 hours, or high for 2 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred, and then add chicken, peas and noodles back into the slow cooker.
- Cook another 1 1/2 – 2 hours or until the noodles are fully cooked.
- Stir well and serve.