Easily assemble this zesty Mexican Street Corn Salad with fresh, flavorful ingredients. It’s perfect for lunch, dinner, or even a midday snack!
This Mexican Street Corn Salad is the perfect choice when you’re in the mood for a light, refreshing, and super flavorful meal. It’s easy to assemble, loaded with fresh seasonings to enhance its taste, and incredibly fulfilling. Mexican street corn salad, also known as elote salad, is a delicious and ultra flavorful salad that has become a popular favorite among food lovers worldwide. This salad is made using grilled or pan fried corn, mixed with spices, herbs, and other ingredients that add texture, flavor, and color to the dish.
Mexican Street Corn Salad
Have you ever tried Mexican Street Corn Salad? Whether you’ve tasted it before or simply caught a glimpse of it on TikTok, where it’s gone viral on more than one occasion, this cold, flavorful salad is absolutely delicious and worth preparing. With a few ingredients, such as corn, butter, garlic, and a blend of seasonings, you will have a refreshing salad that you can enjoy, hot or cold, whichever you prefer!
Mexican street corn salad is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that can be enjoyed as a side or a main course. It packs a flavorful punch and is a refreshing alternative to boring ole traditional salads. So go ahead and give it a try, your taste buds will thank you!
Why You’ll Love the Mexican Corn Salad
- It’s such a super simple recipe. It shouldn’t take you more than a few minutes to put this Mexican Street Corn Salad together.
- You can customize this corn salad to your liking by adding or removing ingredients based on what you like.
- The Mexican Street Corn Salad is versatile enough to eat at any point throughout the day. You can eat it at home or on the go, enjoying it whenever you’re in the mood for something light and tasty.
Elote Salad Ingredients
If you would like to make this enjoyable elote salad, you will need the following ingredients to get started:
- Unsalted Butter – Use about two tablespoons of unsalted butter. You don’t need salted butter because you will add a blend of other seasonings that give this elote its incredible taste.
- Corn – Drain two 15-ounce cans of corn and use them in this salad recipe.
- Garlic – Mince two cloves of garlic to add to your corn.
- Jalapeno – Grab one jalapeno and dice it into small pieces. The jalapeno gives this salad a slightly zestier taste.
- Mayo – Add ½ cup mayo to your mixture with the corn, minced garlic, and diced jalapeno.
- Chili Powder – An essential ingredient used to prepare Mexican Street Corn Salad, the chili powder enhances the taste of this popular dish.
- Smoked Paprika – Add more flavor with a bit of smoked paprika.
- Cilantro – Chop fresh cilantro leaves into pieces to add to your elote.
- Lime Juice – Use one tablespoon of lime juice for an extra zesty taste.
Along with these ingredients, you will need some heavy whipping cream, cumin, salt, lime zest, and crumbles of queso fresco. If you don’t like spicy foods, you can omit the jalapeno from this recipe and still enjoy the bold, zesty taste of this Mexican Street Corn Salad.
Street Corn Salad Recipe Notes
- If you don’t have queso fresco, you can substitute it with queso cotija, which works just as well and adds flavor to this traditional dish.
- The easiest way to crumble your queso fresco is to place it between your clean hands and rub it together. It should begin crumbling with ease.
- You can eat this corn salad by itself or serve it with fresh tortillas or crispy tortilla chips. Enjoy it warm or while it’s fresh and cold from the fridge.
Mexican street corn salad is a perfect side dish for any for Cinco de Mayo or Mexican-themed meal, like tacos or enchiladas. It’s also a great addition to a summer barbecue or picnic, as it’s light, refreshing, and packed with flavor.
Mexican Street Corn FAQs
Can I use frozen corn instead of canned corn?
You can use frozen corn in this recipe instead of canned corn. If so, be sure to heat the frozen corn to soften it and then combine it with your other ingredients, such as the garlic and jalapeno.
What type of mayo should I use when preparing this recipe?
Any type of mayo will work with this recipe. I wouldn’t recommend using Miracle Whip because it has a sweeter taste, but you can use it if that’s your preferred type of mayo.
Can I use margarine instead of butter in this Mexican Street Corn Salad?
Yes! If you prefer using margarine instead of butter, feel free to do that. Parkay Squeeze Margarine is a popular choice for this recipe.
The Mexican Street Corn Salad is full of flavor and easy to prepare. You can assemble this recipe within 10 minutes and enjoy it right away or place it in the fridge, allow it to chill for several hours, and then serve. No matter which way you serve it, expect to enjoy this easy and delicious salad.
The origin of Mexican street corn can be traced back to the streets of Mexico, where it was a popular ‘street’ food, known as “elote.” Elote, means corn on the cob, is traditionally served hot & covered in mayonnaise, chili powder, and feta cheese. However, as time passed, chefs and home cooks began to transform this popular street food into all sorts of things, such as this amazing salad, by just removing the kernels from the cob and adding other ingredients.
More Recipes You Will Love!
Mexican Street Corn Salad
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 15oz cans of corn, drained
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno diced
- ½ cup mayo
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup queso fresco crumbled
- ⅓ chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Zest from 1 lime
- Additional cilantro for garnishing
- In a large skillet, add butter and corn over low-medium heat and cook for 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes or until fragrant. When done, remove from heat and add mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the diced jalapeno, mayo, whipping cream, seasonings, and queso fresco. Toss well with a wooden spoon until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Add lime juice and zest and toss again.
- Garnish with cilantro, lime slices, additional queso fresco and paprika.